Compressd Air

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Neall, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Hello all.

Im just about to order yet more cans of compressed air.

But at 8 quid a pop i thought i would see if anyone else has come up with any cheaper alternatives first.

Ive thought about a small compresser but we are talking a couple of hundred at least.

So has anyone been able to find a cheaper or better alternative to the small cans of compressed air for use in a workshop enviroment?

Neall

WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is not a good idea as you will have static electricity problems with air from a standard air compressor. It will also have moisture (read water) in it which is another problem....

The cans of "compressed air" are NOT full of air. The ones we get here in the US are full of difluoroethane in liquid form. It boils off when the pressure in the can is lowered, e.g. the valve is opened.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I have actually read this before about the compressor's.
    So i can safely rule one out then.

Same with us. Hence the frost bite when over used :)

Cheers for the quick reply mate.

Neall

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I know the stuff is expensive, but it is useful - and eBay is a great hunting ground for it. Sellers like the one at this link can be good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Look for sales and buy it by the case. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Yea.. looks like it could be cheaper buying in bulk.

I think being a little less trigger happy with the stuff may help :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Neall

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have been thinking about getting air compressors for a while too...so this will help me..like you Neall I find them too expensive so hopefully if I can find somewhere that I can buy in bulk then I will be happy...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. ffreeloader

As someone who lives in the US I don't know how much 8 quid is in US dollars, but here in the US I buy 4 cans at a time for $11.00 at a place called Costco. It's basically a place in which everything you buy is in bulk but you must purchase a membership to shop. We buy a lot of groceries, household supplies, personal hygiene supplies, etc... there because it's so much cheaper than what we would have to pay individually elsewhere.

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

$11 for 4 cans! :eek: wow...well there you go Neall...maybe we should buy from Costco...

10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

£8 is about $14... give or take a few cents.

Ebuyer.co.uk sells a 12oz can for about £8, its Belkin so you could get cheaper i suppose.

Not heard of a place like that in the UK, well not that would sell compressed air anyways, but will certainly look into it.

Neall

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Did anyone find a good supplier for cans of compressed air? I'm could do with finding one.

Si :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

they look ok...not a bad price...I think I will just get my hoover out instead...

14. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

i dont know where in scotland you arebut hhere is the link to the costco web site you might also like to try makro as they are also in aberdeen

http://www.costco.co.uk

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just picked up on this thread guys. As i am from an Automotive background i know a bit about Compressors. If you can find a small one that has a bleed tap then as long as you bleed it everytime you use it shouldn't blow water all over the place.
    If you think about a paint shop. Can you imagine a week of preparing a car for spraying and then you get a blob of water coming out of the paint gun!

Something like this is expenisve and you could buy a lot of cans with the money but once you have bought it that is it. Not sure if this has a bleed tap built in but you could put one somewhere on the line.

While on the subject of cleaning can anyone recommend a good computer vacuum i.e for the motherboard, inside the case etc.. :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. ffreeloader

Paint shops spend a small fortune on driers. Most of them in the US use dessicant driers which hold moisture in suspension.

A lot of large buildings used to have pneumatic controls and moisture in those things was a huge problem. The way those systems were "dried out" was to use a refrigeration system to cool the air enough to condense the moisture in the air into droplets. Then it would fall out of suspension and could be drained off.

Just a bleed hole won't dry the air enough, but even if you dry the air you still have the static electricity problem. It's from actually having the air particles themselves becoming negatively charged in the compression process because of the dissimilar materials used in the compressor pistons and cylinder walls. Drying the air won't get rid of that problem.

17. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Not bought them for a while but I think it was four cans for about £12.
    The ones costco stock are Falcon Dust Off XL - 300ml

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Vacuum cleaners can also create a huge amount of static if they are used to suck up dust particles. Make sure you wear your anti static wrist strap if you are going to use one.

A paint brush is also a good tool when used with compressed air or a vacuum cleaner. It helps dislodge the greasier stuff.

I use one of these, they are designed for copier techs but are powerful and small Convac

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)