Completely Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by felixsky77, May 19, 2016.

1. felixsky77

felixsky77 New Member

I was just laid off a month ago after 5+ years with the same firm. I was senior desktop support, jr. system admin, IT manager, and everything in between

I started looking for new work and I am losing my sh*t because I am realizing I don't know squat. I have more than 10 years of IT experience, but no certifications. And I am not even looking to get certified, although I will, as much as just learning new things. I started with MCSE, but I realized that I don't know much about Microsoft's way of doing things. I was mostly learning everything on the job and never had the chance to study the official way of doing things. I am very quick learner and I do love and understand technology, but I've realized how much I don't know. I am starting with Windows 7 right as it's still widely used in many environments.

I guess I am trying to figure out how did I manage all these years without knowing so much? I was able to work for a very long time with the knowledge I acquired on the job, but I am looking through the Windows 7 Admin book and I am just depressed. I don't know a lot about deploying Windows 7 the Microsoft way. I've worked in VMware environment and there was a much different way (VMware View) to deploy Windows OS to users. I do have a home lab and I am going to dive into heavily. I am also feeling the burn out. So much information that I am trying to cram into my head in a short period of time.

Do you think my experience on the job will get me through and help me get a job while I am still studying? I don't want to be without a job for too long, but I don't want to take a huge pay cut either because I can't get hired for a job that requires advanced skills according to Microsoft. Are employers looking for someone who knows everything by the book or are they looking for someone who can get it done, regardless of knowledge?

Any thoughts, advice, would be greatly appreciated. I am seriously overwhelmed

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dunno, these days the IT jobs want both experience and certification you will find alot of the stuff in certification isn't how people do things in the real world.

3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Can you list what your daily work would look like? may be easier to give you advice based on that

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud