Compentency Interview Questions - Trust and Ethics

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well, its obvious that there is currently a shortage of IT folk looking for jobs at the moment and hence the reason why im getting a few interviews for jobs:D

I can be pretty naff at interviews at times, particular with dam compentency questions. The way some interviewers phrase these questions are just a bit blehhh. So having a another look about techniques etc and today I spot these "example" questions regarding being truthworthy and ethics.........

# Give me an example of a time you told a lie.
    # Would you lie if your job depended on it?
    # Do you think it can sometimes be ok to deceive people if this leads to a positive final outcome?

Just intrigued.........has anyone ever been asked questions along these lines? what exactly is being looked for in this type of question as an answer?

I guess there is always going to be a time when everyone has lied (of course your bum dosnt look big my love:blink).....and they are just looking for the reason behind the lie, and your own view on the outcome or the reasons:)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

# Give me an example of a time you told a lie
    Anything really. If you haven't told a lie you're a feotus.
    # Would you lie if your job depended on it?
    It depends on the lie and who's asking!!
    "Did you see me murder your colleague?". No mate. not me. Never saw a thing. I'd appreciate it of you put that axe down while I called the police!!

# Do you think it can sometimes be ok to deceive people if this leads to a positive final outcome?
    I do it all the time. "an engineer will be with you by COB today"

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Wow, never come across those questions in an interview before, think that'd seriously put me on the spot lol

But i'd tell the truth - always tell the truth, cos if you lie and they find out, you're knackered (Not that they can prove your lying about lying(?)) but in job related questions anyway at least

meh

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It would depend on how you define a lie - or rather the nature of the lie.

Denying that you lost a client's paperwork, when in fact you did - is a lie.
    Does it matter? The paperwork is still lost so should we dwell on who lost it?

Saying that you are nearly finished with a project, when you are actually only half way through - is a lie.
    Does it matter if it doesn't affect the completion date?

On the other hand, falsifying facts or figures, stealing stationery, giving false information to customers are (in my mind) a different sort of lie which implies that you are either dishonest or unreliable.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD