Compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Right heres the problem, I'm buying this new PC

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159372/show_product_overview

:biggrin

And I'm buying this graphics card

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160748/show_product_overview

:biggrin

How do I know that both of them will be.. compatible with each other? Will I need a better PSU or something and if so could you state what problems I will have with either of those two items when combined :lovly

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It'll be fine as the PC supports PCI-E. You just need a more powerful PSU (550W+) so that your PC has enough power for your graphics card and any other hardware you're going to use in it.

It doesn't help that ebuyer list the PC as having "1 x VGA port" :|

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Couldn't you build the PC yourself? That looks a bit pricey for what it is :)

4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I bought that card the other day - its great.

However the PC doesnt state that it has an available PCI-E slot to take the card, and its power supply most likely wont as that card requires 2x 18 amp 12v connections, either from a single 36 amp rail or a pair of 18 amp ones.

It would be worth ringing ebuyer and asking.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Qs

Agreed.

That rig doesn't include a monitor either.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Right, I'm totally confused now.

Scenario:

I buy the PC, I buy the graphics card, say for now that the PC does have a PCI-E slot.

So, the PSU on that PC is running at 250W, I tried to download the full spec sheet from Zotac but no joy, 404.

So say that the PSU is powerful enough and I have a PCI-E slot, what else would I need?

Some guy on the reviews section said I would need 2 x molex connectors, meaning I probably have to buy a new PSU..

PSU

It's confusing, does that PSU allow me to simply take out the old one and put in the new one.

(Apologies for the complex hardware newb)

7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Ok assuming that it has the required slots on the board and everything else the card comes with some adaptors that turn the normal connections (molex) to the PCI-E powered ones which attach to the card

Molex connectors look like this

[​IMG]

If the PSU won't do the business get a higher speced one and it is normally a unscrew old one, screw in new one, and then make sure all of the connectors are put back into the same places - maybe take a couple of pics with a digital camera before you pull anything apart.

I will second what others have said and ask have you considered building your own, I know you said you are a hardware newb but we all started in the place as you.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Qs

I think you're confusing yourself.

The PC does have a PCI-E slot, which means that it will work with your current choice of graphics card.

PC PSU's are pretty generic. They also only provide so much power.

A 250W PSU may only be able to provide enough power for :- CPU, RAM, MOBO, Graphics Card, Sound Card
    A 550W PSU on the other can is more stable as it will easily have enough power for more peripherals/hardware.

Molex connectors are basically power connectors for hard disk and optical drives (see - here). For each hardware component (IDE Hard-Drive, CD-ROM drive etc) each requires a molex connector.

Any more info required?

Hope this helps. :)

Qs

9. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

You're brilliant Qs :thumbleft

That helped more than I can explain :biggrin

What I'll do is buy the new PSU, check it has the right connectors, so, all of the essentials plus 2 x molex connectors.

But, would that PSU do the job? Or could somebody recommend a different one?

Thanks so much guys.

10. Qs

The PSU you linked will be fine. Most PSU's have a standard set of connectors.

If you want to be particularly over-the-top careful then you can check which connectors you're going to use too. Each PSU will have a spec sheet.

Qs

11. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Yeah sorry :P I'm kinda careful about stuff I dont know :oops:

Also, this one.

PSU

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never heard of that brand before and I would only buy quality know brands like Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, coolermaster, Thermaltake.

Personally I prefer Seasonic although they are expensive you get what you pay for.

And you should never go with an inferior brand or cheapo PSU as you risk breaking your pc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Thanks mate, I'll bear that in mind.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Or, at best, you're more likely to have hardware problems that are hard to trace back to a faulty PSU.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

in all honesty Daniel mate, you could buy all the parts seperately from aria.co.uk \ microdirect.co.uk and build it yourself for cheaper.. and then you wont have any extra parts which arent required... :)

It will also help you learn more about the hardware by building it from scratch.

Good luck with the new rig ;)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  16. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Right thats it, for everything I want/need, it's gonna cost £620.. :eek:

I'm gonna build my own PC :biggrin!

I have to unfortunately order all the parts tonight as a big direct debit goes out at midnight :blink

So yeah, quite exciting xD

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

Should help me a lot.

Anyone got any better sites for me to reference to for parts and putting it together?

Also, anyone estimated cost for a good rig with a nice graphics card?

17. Qs

Overclockers is always my first choice. You can find a decent pre-built rig for only slightly more than what it would cost you to build it yourself. Link is here - www.overclockers.co.uk

The section you need is here

Else, check compatibility on individual items and go it alone. Ebuyer is a decent start, as is scan

If you have any particular questions then PM me.

Qs

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What QS said.

I use overclockers all the time and build systems for a living along side my 'proper' job.

Building a computer is like making a jigsaw, all the bits need to fit for it work.

Make sure you do your reaseach before buying anything as to wether those bits are compatible and will fit correctly.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive got a zotac GPU and you get a converter cable for the power on the card incase the PSU doesnt have the 6 pin connector (il be very surprised if it doesnt these days though)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  20. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Ordered from overclockers :biggrin

Only because I need a PC quite quickly.

Will build my own one in the next 2 months or something, thanks for everyones help!