Comparison of directories

Discussion in 'Software' started by Apexes, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Scenario.

I have a folder full of around 250 .PCK files - these are compressed software source files, SCCM system de-compresses these into a another folder with the folder name the same as the file (Minus the ext.)

For example: 0GL00532.PCK will decompress contents into another folder on the drive named 0GL00532 which the contains msi's etc

Does anyone know of a way i can analyze, and compare the .PCK files, alongside the directories they extract to, so i can see which ones are then redundant?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

I might be talking a load of cack, but aren't there folder comparison tools available for this type of thing?

I just googled "Folder Comparison" and there seems to be loads. Not sure if any are suitable for what you need though....

Only 16 days late :cheeseyg

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So you want to run a search in a particular directory, to identify which compressed files you have already extracted (presumeably to remove them), is that right?

I'm fairly sure you could do this with VBScript, or a Powershell script - or indeed any scripting language I would think.

Basically, you need to write a script that will search the directory for .pck files, then attempt to identify if there is a directory within the specified location with the same name.

It's been a while since I did any VBScripting, but you might want to look at the FileSystemObject within VBScript, as it has objects that allow you to get the files in a directory, and methods that let you get directories in another directory. I would suggest that you use this.

I could probably put something together for you if you needed, but I wont at the moment. No point wasting effort if I got the wrong end of the stick, or you dont need it any more.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

My favourite folder backup / comparison / sync software: 2BrightSparks | Download SyncBack Freeware

Freeware (there are also premium versions available), and it can run as a portable app if you download the Zip NI version.

It's simple and powerful. I use it to backup my whole MP3 collection onto a second and third PC.

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I use something called Tree Size when I need to move data to another server on that site.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi I have used Auslogics Duplicate File Finder to scan drives for duplicate files.

Works well and you can delete files from within the program.

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA