command to know the status of proxy server

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Arunram, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Last post that I'm going to put here.

ISA is a very powerful server class application. If you're not going to be managing it and if it's properly locked down (and you don't have the correct rights on the server), no matter what you do you won't get any info out of it.

Ask the person who manages your ISA server.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Head, meet wall, bang yourself on it multiple times until you pass out.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

what a responsible answer? wow wonderful admin

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, because no matter how we tried answering you, you never actually took on board what was being said to you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. morph

morph Byte Poster

dude u want to find out if its working but u dont want to use anything at your disposal to find out if it is working?

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  6. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

How can you know anything about a proxy if you dont actually login to the device.

Pinging etc will tell you nothing.What if the proxy is off-path and has a layer 2 monitor session in-place to view traffic, no matter what you do tracert/ping etc it will show u nothing.

What I would suggest is go and find documentation regarding the proxy in question, example Bluecoat or ISA and read up about it.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  7. morph

morph Byte Poster

ping will tell u if its responding = its a start ;)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  8. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

ISA by default wont respond to pings on the external interface and could be setup to not respond on any interface.

Either way pinging something just confirms connectivity/layer 1-3, still doesnt test anything in relation to the actual proxy application/service.You need to login to the device and know what you doing/looking for.

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Retracted...

Unfortunately, by the sounds of it, you still don't know what proxy system your company is using.

It depends on post configuration. If ping is allowed, it will tell you if the server is up and responding. So far imo, Arunram hasn't really told us want he wants apart from "proxy working". If opening up a internet browser is too hard to do to check to see if internet connectivity is up (which is the simplest form of checking) and he/she is not an admin or allocated to look after the proxy server, I do not believe (based on the information given) that giving any more information would be benefical.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

You have to remember ping tests connectivity, Proxy is a "Service" so even if you got a response it means nothing as that doesnt tell you if the proxy service is working.

Either way I agree he doesnt sound like a admin and is probably trying to find "loopholes" in his current company in relation to their proxy.

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You could try typing in www.jugs.com or something similar and see if a member of IT comes crashing through the door moments later, you'd soon know im sure!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  12. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

there is an another meaning for that question

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What I would like to know is are you actually working in an MCSE related position? Because if you are you should know this stuff, hell I know what a proxy server is an what ISA is and I am not in an MCSE related job and that is why I am not doing the MCSE.

Do actually have 12-18 months experience as a systems admin? or are you actually looking to get into IT? I aks this because having the MCSE without the relevant experience is not a good idea and can harm you job prospects.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Can't be bothered to read through all the stuff here.

If you are using a proxy server it is often configured automatically by GPO just check your IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  15. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

OMG :evil why no one is able to see the question clearly...i am stressing the fact that i want to know the status from the client side, which means it is not from the server side :dry let me ask you one more question ,
    you are newly joining to an IT team and suddenly one user wants you to configure mailbox and proxy setting in browser, but no one in your team is present and you are new, how would you know the IP of the mail server and proxy and one more thing you are unable to reach any of your team member over the phone. WHAT WILL YOU DO?:twisted::twisted:

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Then ask the bloody question right the next time, you don't want to know the status, you want to know the IP address!!! there is a HUGE difference, no matter how many times you asked it previously none of those occasions mentioned you wanting\needing to know the ip address of the proxy.

As for the settings? Simple get them from a known working machine because if you don't have them written down somewhere or auto configured then how the hell do you hope to know the ip address, either you know them, can find them from known working clients or you don't know them.

Clients (as in end users) generally don't need to know the addresses because the machines are either configured using GPO or a proxy.pac file.

I would suggest (strongly) that the next time you want to ask a question, think about what you want to ask logically rather than mulling around different ways of asking it, that way you will get the straight answer the first time of asking.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

IF you're authorized to be messing around with proxy settings, you'd do what any IT tech worth their salt will do: get the settings from another computer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

so as an administrator you would take a pen and note to note the ip addresses of all the mail servers or proxy servers? really shame, even a school going guy would do that, wont u use some commands to know those stuffs?

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, because it's easier just looking up in a (secured) spreadsheet of all the thousands of servers I have administered.
    So as someone who already knows that people would write it down why haven't you? or why haven't you asked someone who does know?

You really haven't actually worked in IT have you?

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what is the difference between a couple of clicks with a mouse and a command? **** all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?