command to know the status of proxy server

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Arunram, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

is there any command available to know the status of a proxy server?

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Status of proxy server? To do what?

If you ping the server, it'll tell you if it's responding :)

Anyway, try this bit of software, it may help you.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

by simply pinging we can know, but is there anything else we could do to know the state?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Surely that depends on the proxy server and the services it offer? If the proxy server offers no reporting features then you would only know the status of it from pinging the box or looking at event logs.

Another way would be to implement proper network\server monitoring with the likes of SCOM (System Center Operations Manager) and the alerts and events monitoring it offers.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm confused here. Do you want to know whether the proxy server itself is responding, whether a specific service on the proxy is running, or just whether you are actually browsing/being filtered through a proxy server?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

from the desktop i wanna know whether my proxy server is up and providing the service or its down.

7. Kitkatninja

Surely you open up IE and try the internet, if you get the internet it works, if you don't get the internet it doesn't... :blink

Or like Zeb asked:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

1st one

9. Kitkatninja

Do you know what type of Proxy server it is? That is a bit of very important info.

-Ken

10. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

type in the sense? i am talking about a enterprise level proxy server i mean in a company...

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not just ping it? or is that too simple and I am missing the point?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

even a user would ping and tell..as an administrator what we need to do?:)

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

There are hundreds of different types of proxy server out there, unless we have a specific brand\type then we can't possibly answer the question. Again I go back to my earlier post here about whether the software\hardware support reporting out to different reporting products (ala SCOM).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Kitkatninja

Yes, and there are quite a few different enterprise class proxy servers:

1. ISA (and the new Forefront TMG)
    2. SafeSquid
    3. Sun Java System Directory Server Enterprise Edition (that can be used as a proxy)
    4. etc, etc, etc

Then within that, you have both software proxy servers and hardware proxy servers. What may work for one proxy server, may not work for another, eg:

To Find the Status of a Directory Proxy Server Instance, command: $ dpadm info instance-path (see here), but that won't work on, say ISA.

Personally, I would use the management console of the product or another product like SCOM if it's a MS product.

-Ken

15. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

what is the command for ISA then?

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No No NO.

Please it isn't as simple as that. The definition of ISA is Internet Security and Acceleration server, it's a hardened security server that will usually require you to either log on to it directly or utilising SCOM or ISA's own reporting functionality.

There really aren't any easy and fast tools for this, because it's a security machine, pinging is about it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not get some study books?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

I don't think you fully understand what a Proxy server is or how its implemented in a companies infrastructure.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  19. Kitkatninja

That's right

Good advice :)

If you're going to be managing ISA, then install the ISA Management Console on your PC. There are scripts out there (see here for example) but if you don't know what you're doing or what you're looking for it can be more of a hindrance rather than helpful.

-ken

20. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

i am not going to manage the ISA or squid or whatever it is ...i wanted to know from the client side, whether the proxy server is up and running and it is providing the service and that too not by opening the browser or pinging the server:oops: