Resolved Command to find Active Computers on Network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Haroon Mustafa, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hello all,

I cannot seem to find anything about this,

It seems simple and common therefore i though someone has already posted a thread on this..

How do you use CMD to find computers on your network.

For instance, i am at work, and i have been renaming computers to follow the order off names we have set. However, after naming the computers i have in the office i have made a check list on the ones we have and ones we don't. I cannot find the first 5 computers in the office to re name. I remember i have seen a command to find active computers in your network, But i cannot remember the command to enter... -.-

If this makes sense too anyone it would be great if you can tell me anything about it or a command...

Cheers,
    Haroon

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. Haroon Mustafa

Found out ping - ( workstation name ) worked for what i needed.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

well that will do the dns entry and tell you if it's present on the network, it won't tell you who \ where it is.
    You could always look in AD at the computers container and see who the last logged on user is via the remote c$ share.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Haroon Mustafa

At the time i just wanted a rough idea to see if it was on or off. It turned out it was off as the command replied with "destination host unreachable" need to find out why it's off now -..-

great!!
    But I will try that incase it has been stolen. So I can figure out the people who was on it last and contact them

Cheers