Command prompt in Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Does anyone know if there is much difference between the two?
    Is the terminal in Vista less powerful/have less features?

A friends has been told they need a laptop with a serial port to talk to some automotive equipment that must be done using XP - AT commands perhaps?

Thanks

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Are you reffering to the CMD.exe? With serial connections I think off telnet instead. Or hyper terminal. By default the telnet client is not installed on Vista, but can be added by the "add and remove programs" equivalent (using a dutch version here).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I believe I've seem some talk of the CMD shell being extended in Vista. But this isn't what you are really asking. When running a terminal program or Telnet then the CMD console isn't involved.
    Depends on what is being done here. And I doubt severely that Vista won't run such programs.

You need to find out whether the serial port is being used for a TTY, or whether PPP+TCP/IP is being run over it.

In the automotive world there is a protocol known as CAN. If this is what he is after then a TTY program will handle it well - like Hyperterm. (Or it used to - I haven't used it for ages!)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Also Hyperterminal is no longer installed in Vista. Unlike Telnet it is not an optional install either. :(

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I had forgotten that. But Hyperterm is still available for personal use from the original makers here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for the input guy's :thumbleft

I found out that the hardware must connect via the serial port and hyperterminal is used to talk with the equipment at the other end. Considering *most* laptops no longer come with a serial port, I am assuming a USB > Serial won't cause any further problems?

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The only thing I came across regarding the cmd.exe is that in vista unless you are logged in as literally "administrator" you will have to do a run as from the system32 folder to have the admin rights.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used a Belkin USB-Serial adapter to configure Cisco and Foundry equipment without any problems. Worked like a champ.

I believe the Dell Latitude laptops still have serial ports.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting.. i was wondering how to elevate my privilages at the command prompt.. thanks for the heads up :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I noticed that too, ended up putting a shortcut on the desktop and then running it as admin. Same idea when I needed to edit the hosts file.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You are welcome.:biggrin

At first I was login in as administrator to have the full rights but then I remembered the run as feature. Plus reading the whole new features of vista security made a lot of sense after.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA