Command line questions

Discussion in 'A+' started by mikehende, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I am referring to the following from the Windows 2000 Scripting Guide
    While the above is written specifically for VBScripting it applies to the cmd prompt in general.

After your second post about this I think what you're talking about is the > symbol found at the end of the cmd prompt. Is that correct? If so it is just a portion of the prompt.

Copy and paste the entire line into a post here we can see exactly what you are referring to rather than just guessing as many symbols and key strokes have multiple uses/meanings depending on the context.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mike it means redirect the output of the command, by default it is displayed on your screen but you can change that with the *>* symbol to output to a text file or the printer for example.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Well, I am seeing this symbol only when changing directories and I am curious as to why it's there and what purpose it serves, eg. When I open the cmd prompt, I see

c:\documents and settings\mike

now I go to change the directory by typing: cd\my images and now I see

c:\my images>

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

First, you are getting yourself into bad habits by not leaving a space after the "cd". Every other command will require it, so why set yourself up for unconscious mistakes and typos? It's a bad way to learn as you will drive yourself crazy looking for something that looks right to you, but is in actuality wrong. Been there and done that in a lot of things.

The > symbol in the context you're speaking of is just a part of the command prompt. It's there when opening a cmd shell on my laptop. I just think you're not seeing it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

I guess it may not be time yet to dig deeper into this symbol so I'll wait until it crops up in further detail in the book. Thanks for the reminder on the space, forgot you guys were stressing on this 2 weeks ago. :D will continue with this tomorow.