Code 39 - Drivers missing or corrupted!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by juneau, Jul 5, 2012.

1. juneau

juneau Bit Poster

Hello all,

So I'm in the process of getting an old desktop up and running again and the plan is to use it as a NAS device to store my burgeoning music collection onto.

It hasn't been used for some time but I installed a dvd rw and cd rw (philips and Sony respectively) which have had hardly any use.

System is running XP Pro and booted up fine at first. When I opened my computer the drives were not listed - Only C drive and A (floppy which I'll change also!lol)

Opened device manager and the two drives are listed with yellow exclamation marks. Had a look at properties and it shows code 39 - Missing or corrupted drivers. Scanned for hardware changes, rolled back drivers etc to no avail.

Booted up in safe mode - still not visible.

Obviously the system recognises that they are attached and present so I'm inclined to think drivers are missing.

Problem is re-installing the software for the drives which I have for both devices as drives not accessible.

Attached a portable cd-rom via usb with intention of installing that way but computer won't recognise that device either!!

Troubleshooted all USB connections and they are all enabled and working correctly.

Last option was to format hard drive and re-install windows to see if that would work.

Although I'm the administrator, system won't let me format hard drive either bah!!:(

Didn't try returning to last know configuration point as I must've turned off system restore at some point.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get these drives up and working again??

p.s. at the moment I can't access internet as there is a problem with ethernet port and sytem doesn't have wireless card installed.

Many thanks in advance.:D

Certifications: no IT qualifications as yet
    WIP: I would like to pursue networking
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be an issue with the motherboard as the onboard NIC and some attached devices are not working.

Is there a chipset driver for the motherboard? Also is it a branded PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If NIC is working why not just download em or use 'windows find on internet option' ? Oh not working scratch that...

Try USB key and download drivers onto another machine ?

You can't format the windows system drive from within windows, generally you format it from an install disk that boots into a cut down in memory version of windows call minwin. Other options are Linux or DOS based utilities. Your windows system privs are irrelevant, you simply can't format the system drive at any priv level if I remember correctly.

Agree dodgy NIC and possible dodgy USB and possible dodgy IDE/SATA, maybe dead mobo.

Open up the case and clean out any dust, check the IDE/SATA cables are still connected properly.

Definitely check has correct mobo drivers. Check you've not disabled an IO device device in the BIOS or similar.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-39-error.htm

MS seem to think that it can be caused by registry corruption so best check that too.

Failing that its uninstall and reinstall drivers using whatever method you can devise, USB thumbdrive, SATA data drive, peer to peer network etc.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012