1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code 10....error at CD_RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ron_of_orange, Aug 8, 2004.

1. ron_of_orange

ron_of_orange New Member

hi anybody?

Code 10 problems.....they definitely SUCK....I'm going start with a quick description of where I'm at.

I have two PC's.....both generate "Code 10 errors" when I try to re-install an External IEEE 1394 SBP2 BusLink CD_RW.

Both PC's are running Windows 2k Pro.

The Tyan Box is the newer of the two.....
    Mboard is Tyan 2462ung....This is a AMD Dual 1400Mhz.Processor
    Server Board
    1 Gbyte Ram.
    Came with no Firewire Ports....so an add-on Pci Card is required.
    The CD-RW actually worked at least for a short while....Then, I crashed the OS.. on my Tyan Box I re-installed the OS over the existing OS....w/ new SID ...(I forgot I had a backup stored on it...LOL) So, I've been re-establishing new links, etc. to all my OLD programs......(most were in other partitions...but not all).
    Currently this box is nearly complete.

Service packs...yes up to SP4.....just chasing this problem.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The other box is my Intel Box....a little older
    MBoard is a Intel L440GX.....(dual 700 Mhz processor)...A server board
    256 Kbyte Ram ; No Firewire ports...So add cards are required.

This box has not been a problem....running fine. So I thought that if I could get the CD-RW to work on it maybe I could fix the the Tyan Box....

So I've chased down most every SP pack and driver upgrade I can find...Still no LUCK....except BAD

I've seen some suggestion for the ASUS mother boards where re-setting the BIOS was successful for a similar CODE 10 problem (different device).

I've also seen a successful Utility program with a file named "TOGGLE" (toggle.exe)...which was provided for some Nvdia device. A guy in France has a FTP site.....It's still there...so I down loaded it.

Haven't tried it......

I've seen some discussion about a need for more resources (IRQ's). And some suggestions to pull all your cards out and/or move the Firewire card to a different slot.

I haven't seen a real "Honest to goodness Fix".....

A lot of people have these Code 10 problems....some are USB...some Firewire....mostly different External devices.....

So where am I at now.....Pretty much lost I guess.

If I haven't tried to correct this (Code 10) on one machine, then I did try it on the other. Still no real fix.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought to pull the firewire card...power up, power down, then reinstall firewire card....No benefit on the Intel box as of now

So, more looking ....
    A look at Event Viewer finds an Application LOG Event 4100 error...I maybe over-looking a cause for my problem...??

A question as to whether or not an Event 4100 could be the root cause for an Event 9

Event 4100 looks like this
    pasted here....
    The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber {6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoCreateInstanceEx returned HRESULT 8000401A.

An event 9 looks like ...
    pasted here...
    The description for Event ID ( 9 ) in Source ( sbp2port ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: .

An Event 9 is a repetitive spin-up, then spin down of the CD-RW....

his Error is regenerated in the System LOG every 10 seconds approx.

Neither box has any IRQ conflicts....the OHCI 1394 Host controller is recognized and running....
    If I find a sure fire fix ...I'll be back to post it....In the mean time if anybody else finds a real SURE Fire Fix

Let Me Know...

thanks in advance to any and all

ron_of_orange
    2:35 pm pst

2. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

I found this for the 4100 event your getting HTH:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289650

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...