Cloverfield

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Feb 1, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

One word: "AWESOME" :eek: :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would like to see this as well as my misses thought the trailer was very impressive. Did you see this at the cinema recently:)?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Just got back about 20min ago from seeing it...I was so taken aback by the whole thing...it was just pure cinematic excitement and entertainment and pure brilliance all rolled into one...I dont know what else to say...

4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I haven't seen it yet, I think the hype may have killed any excitement I had for it. Plus news of a sequel has driven it, for me anyway, in to overkill and overhype.

I think it will take a lot to beat Rambo. Is Rambo out in the UK cinemas yet? If so, go see it! It's mind-blowingly violent, but very very VERY good!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Frankly, I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The story was incomplete, and the use of a handheld camera made what story there was hard to follow. I've never walked out from a theater, but I would have walked out of this movie if I wasn't with other people. The reaction by most people in the audience was "That's it?" That's certainly how I felt.

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Looking forward to seeing this and there is already talk of a sequel :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The only thing I would agree with you on is the sequel...it should be left alone...its that simple...I loved the whole concept of the movie...thats why I enjoyed it so much :biggrin

8. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

From what i have heard and read it's a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it no middle ground.
    I for one will be going to see this soon.:D

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Just saw this movie with the other half. She hated it, I hated it but felt infuriated with it.

SPOILER:
    [HIDE]They showed hardly any of the monster. There was no real discovery of the monster. Where it came from and why or indeed what it was. Ok so only a certain amount of information could be presented to the viewer given the manner in which the story is told, given it was shot a different way we would have almost certainly had more development on the monster itself. Maybe in the now confirmed sequel it will pick up immediately where this movie ends but perhaps told from the camera of another group and we'll see more development of the monster.[/HIDE]

Sure it had it's moments of excitement, but nowhere near enough of them. I felt at times I was watching an episode of Days Of Our Lives rather than a monster movie.

SPOILER:
    [HIDE]Too much time was spent worrying about the main characters love life and the search for his girlfriend. When the monster appeared you'd see a brief glimpse and then the camera immediately turns away to focus on a paisley chair or in one particular scene a guy making a phone call even though ten minutes earlier in the film he says his cell phone battery has died![/HIDE]

I had high hopes for this movie, considering the only real previous attempt at a monster movie in the US was the mediocre Godzilla remake. Lets face it, nobody makes a monster movie quite like the Japanese. I'll watch a bloke in a rubber suit swiping micro machines off a dinner table with his hand any day over this useless movie. This project should have been snatched from the hands of Mr. Reeves and given to someone with a quality background. Tsukamoto Shinya (director of the glorious Snake Of June, Tetsuo: The Iron Man and the awesome Tokyo Fist) is an immediate name that springs to mind. Or perhaps the project should have been handled by Toho or the legend that directed Godzilla vs Megalon!

So lets summarize. I thought it was diabolical. One of the biggest disappointments of the year and a total waste of time and money.

I'd rather eat my own head than see this useless excuse for a film ever again.

10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Saw the flim last night. It was good. Not saying it was brilliant or anything. like grizz3210 says, you either love it or hate it :biggrin

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  11. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I tried to warn you! :dry

12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I wish i'd listened to you. I never want to see that movie again as long as I live. I feel like Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura Pet Detective SPOILER:[HIDE]after he discovers that Einehorn is in fact Ray Finkel, in other words Einehorn is a man and he kissed her...I mean him! I wonder if Einehorn is a double entendre?![/HIDE]