Client software for Mapped Network Drives

Discussion in 'Software' started by RyeGuy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

I'm not sure if there is such a thing but I will type it out and see. So we have our main office in Kent, WA and then we have a child office in Shanghai, China. We had an ftp server that we were running but wanted to get off of it because it was taking up space, we ended up going with a hosted solution called Sharefile which works great for inside the US. When one of our users tries to upload to Sharefile she gets about 1KB transfer rates which you can imagine takes hours and hours to upload a small 10MB file. We have a direct vpn connection to our China office and she is setup with a mapped network drive to our file server which she can then transfer at a decent rate.

Enough with the story here is my question, is there a software that she could use that would keep track of her uploads and if the internet connection failed it would save her spot so then when it came back up the uploads would start again?

I have tried google to search for such a product but I am having a hard time with it. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Thanks a ton for your help in advance.

Rhino

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can she not just copy files onto your server through the VPN (secure) rather than using FTP (not secure) ?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

Oh yeah, she definately can. The only thing that worries me is that if she were to start the upload and walk away for the day, what if she lost internet connection? If something were to happen and she lost connectivity the upload would stop and not continue when the computer re-gained connectivity. What I am looking for is some sort of software that will allow that upload to continue from where it left off. Does that make sense? :D

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - perfect sense.

Robocopy is your friend. You can get it from the XP or Server 2003 resource kits. Find out how to use it here

I have used it for yonks, and have run everything from little batch jobs to entire organisation's backup strategy using it

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Free Download Microsoft RichCopy 4.0.211. It's a multithreaded copying tool. You should try that. :D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

Rep added for both of you! Thanks for the responses guys, I will check them both out and see which one will work best for the user. It looks like Robocopy might be a little difficult for her to use but I will play around with it. Thanks again!