Client not obtaining IP

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Taita, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Hello there,

I have a DC running DNS, AD, DHCP on vmnet02 in VMWare, it has a static IP. I've set up the IP scope to dish out 192.168.100.10 - 192.168.100.254 and has a static 192.168.100.1 IP (subnet 255.255.255.0)

I've got an XP client on vmnet02 as well. However, it isn't being given an IP (169 on client and no reservation on the DC). Ipconfig shows 169 and subnet of 255.255.0.0 which is the problem I think.

Bit confused as to how to fix this? At work we plug something in and DHCP sorts it :)

Thanks!

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

First up, make sure your client is using bridged networking - not Nat

Next, make sure the client is set to obtain an up address automatically under the tcp/ip configuration on the nic

Try giving your nic an ip address and sunbet mask in the range that should be being doled out by the dhcp server - if this works, then you've established that basic tcp/ip connectivity is working.

Then, assuming you can ping the server that's handing our dhcp addresses, make sure that the server is authorised (check the dhcp snap-in)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If it's getting a 169.254 address, it's not communicating with the DHCP server.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

I want the virtual machines to all be separate from the physical network atm. So they are all set to vmnet01. I'll sort out access to internet etc through ISA later. Thats why they aren't on NAT / bridged.

I will try assigning an IP (think I had to do this previously) but I was wondering why it isn't working. 169 is the IP Windows gives when no response from DHCP.

I might have forgotten to auth the scope, but it was the first scope I created when I added the role, so is it authorised already?

5. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Appears the first scope still needs authing, makes sense really :)

However, its still not getting an IP assigned :(.

6. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

If I assign a static I can ping the DC. Hmmm.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

hmm are you sure you have authorised the dhcp and the scope little green up arrows on server and no red arrows on the scope?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Yep.
    Is it down to the virtual network settings? They are both on vmnet02.

9. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Basic DHCP problems this sounds like..

If your getting an address in the range of 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255 then APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) is being enforced, so therefore the DHCP server cannot be contacted from that client so APIPA is assigning you an IP.

I'm sure you've run the usual ipconfig switches?

If not ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

Or pathping OR tracert your DHCP server.

There a variety of things you can try. I would just check the physical connection, reboot and then troubleshoot if further problems persist.

Sorry for the confusing reply :eek:

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  10. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

I've got exactly the same problem with my VM. Member server works fine with a static ip but won't find a dhcp server. Everything looks fine in the dhcp console. Possibly a bug in VM.

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA