Client for Microsoft Networks

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Methodman85, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Does this component provide name resolution?
    I noticed that while on a private network, I can perform a revserve lookup on a system providing this service is enabled, but once its turned off, I can only ping the system via IP Address.
    Is this why you can resolve hostnames on a workgroup network without a DNS server?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I thought this component was used to allow you to create MS networks with any OS (as long as each OS has this component)

That said, maybe it has something to do with the hosts/lmhosts files???

(derkit taking a stab in the dark! :) )

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Lol yes I understand what it does, my question is HOW it does it? What's the process involved? And does it allow for same network segment/broadcast range name resolution?

"The Client for Microsoft Networks component allows a computer to access resources on a Microsoft network. "

That tells me nothing, it's like saying it works via magic.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have to say that that Technet article is less then enough! (Not unusual really).

I have always thought that the 'Client' is effectively the client for NETBUI and it's descendants.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Not 100% sure on the full details, but have found in the past that if you disable the Netbios over TCP/IP function then the network browsing service doesnt work, so id imagine it uses netbios names for this function.

I think in all probability because it is a software client (application layer), the client itself doesnt provide these services, it probably passes it down the OSI chain and relys on lower level functions such as arp broadcast for example and something similar for the resolution service

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal