Cleaning PC's / Servers

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Ryan, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Just wondered what everyone uses for cleaning out the insides of PCs / Servers that have accumulated dust over time

Currently i use compressed air, but it just seems to move the dust around rather than cleaning it out.

Could i use a handheld hoover without having to worry about static etc?

Curious as to what methods everyone else uses

Cheers,

Ryan

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think there are esd safe vac's for sale somewhere Ryan - i'll post back with a link if i find it.

if a case is really bad, it might be worth removing the mobo, and getting a real hoover in there!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm hardcore - I just use a regular vacuum cleaner. Static? What static! :p

Probably safer to use an ESD vac as Boyce has suggested. Link is here if you would like more info on them - Link

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Lungs, hoover hose nearby (attached to a hoover, of course) and a very fine and tiny art paintbrush

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

how much are these priced at? cant seem to find the info anywhere

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Compressed air cans and a makeup brush for fans - if there's too much dust, then take the thing outside before you spray it!!

No no seriously, we take the PCs out onto the balcony (when it stops raining) and spray them from there so we don't just push dust around the department.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

On this topic, I just discovered last night that the intakes on the front of my case actually have a door that can be opened, and have removable filters inside this door. I've had this case running since march last year, so nearly a year and a half.

Can you imagine the dust that was sitting in those filters?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

As for where you purchase them I'm not entirely sure. Have a search on the net. :) Information on said cleaners can be found in my previous post though.

Hope this helps,

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Lungs and compressed air for me, and some sort of brush for fans and grills and hard-to-reach places. Sucks when I do it in my office, cause dust goes everywhere. Fortunately, I don't get much dust built up in there, because I have filters in my case similar to the ones Fergal describes.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

More or less what Arroryn does (except we don't have a balcony) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

All our servers and within the confines of our secure comms rooms with a controlled enviroment whch we clean just 1 per year using a Nilfisk HDS 2000 with a superb filtration system and tack mat at entry and exit points to remove dust and dirt from shoes etc

As a result the interior of servers are spotless.

Workstations on the other hand are mostly within the confines of a busy 500,000 sq ft warehouse and get full of crap. For these we use these

Here's one I did earlier -

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me