Clean re-install of XP without losing data??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Japanese Elvis, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

I guess I should probably be able to work this out myself, but I think I better ask around first....

My desktop PC is getting a bit annoying these days - slow start ups (sometimes VERY) and shut downs mainly - and I notice reams of processes in the task manager.

I'd quite like to start over with a new install of XP, but I obviously don't want to lose some installed programs or any of my files.

The system in question is a Dell dimension 8250, P4 2.66GHz, 1GB RDRAM, 60GB HDD.

I have it connected via a very simple NETBIOS network to another PC, a P3 450 running windows '98 and 2000 profesional.

Any suggestions??

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My first effort would be to check for malware - what you describe is typical. Adaware SE and and a decent virus checker would be a first. And don't forget the M$ tool - this can sometimes find stuff that others miss.

Of course - you *have* used MSConfig to see what is being started and restricted some of it to see if that helps? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ummm try d/l nod32 antivirus trial from NOD32 umm then look for the trials of these.. xoftspy, spysweeper and spywaredoctor they are all very good..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just curious but why NETBIOS?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

There is no way that I know of to do a 'clean' install without having to reinstall of your apps and data.

The only way that I could think of getting around this would be to use Ghost and take an image for your system straight after it is set up and working the way that you want it too. You could then re-install the image when you needed to.

Of course that doesn't really help your current problem does it!

All that I can think of is, as others have suggested, scan for malware and see if performance is improved. If not then you could try System Restore and restore back to an earlier time, but this may only put you at risk of further vulnerabilities as updates, etc will be removed.

Ultimately, if you want a clean install then search out thoses program CD's and start backing up.

8)

6. Japanese Elvis

I use the following 'protection' on the machine;

Norton Internet Security / Antivirus 2005
    Ad-Aware SE
    Spybot search & destroy
    Spywareblaster

All are up to date and used weekly.

I think Norton might actually be part of the problem though, it seems to like grabbing a lot of the resources.

I have used msconfig and cut out everything that doesn't need to be there.

NETBIOS? - because it was easy, and just worked! I'll probably revisit this as I work my wy through N+.

I've tried system restore without any noticeable improvements.

I guess I could stick another HDD in there and copy over what I want to keep, then copy it back at a later date. There are two drives in the old machine and I could certainly spare one.

7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

norton being a pain in the ass? surely not!

try and play around with nortons settings mate, you may find it scans everything when opened, or at startup/shutdown thus causing your slow speed.

or just get rid and try a free one like avg

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Norton is all too often part of the problem! :rolleyes:

Check your source of the Spybot S&D files - I've been hearing rumours that these are sometimes hijacked.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Yes, Norton is a good package but seems to suck resources!

As for system restore, all the "bad" things you have got on your system are usually contained within here too!

You can't beat a fresh install of Windows every year to improve matters no end. Bit of a pain installing all the apps again.....

I asked about NETBIOS because i thought you would have a bit of security there to, as it is a non routable protocol.
    i.e data from one computer could only be shared amongst that network and not the internet

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

There is really no point in doing a 'repair' install of XP.
    I would do what they others are saying and give your system a health check, full malware/virus scan.

Also, download Ccleaner and run that, it will get rid of all the 'junk' files.

If its still bad after that, then backup your personal files and do a full format/reinstall. Its only a few programs after all! :)

If there is not alot of personal files, then just transfer them across the network.

Neall

WIP: A+
  11. Japanese Elvis

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've run all the anti virus and spyware progs today and turned up nothing.

I downloaded and ran this utility easycleaner

It removed stacks of unnecessary files, but I'm not yet sure if it's any better.

I've been through the list of open processes in task manager and nothing sticks out as being malicious.

I guess sending the files to the other pc and then reinstalling would probably be the best idea.

I'll try to summon the courage.... :eek:

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Never tried this, but couldn't you run the XP File & Settings Transfer wizard (start > progs > accessories > system tools ) then take the resultant file, copy it to an off-PC location, reinstall XP and then restore the file ?

No doubt someone will shortly point out the obvious way that this will not work, but it's a thought for now :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes you can do this Gav but it has limited functionality. I believe the files all have to be in your profile, My documents etc. It doesn't re-establish your applications though.

Boyce I think the protocol that the OP is talking about is NetBeiu not NetBios

There is a good write up on when you should consider using it here...http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/netbeui.htm

Uninstall Norton as has already been suggested and you will give your PC a performance boost of a lifetime.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Good answer, Harry! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+