Clean installation XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by crgbut147, Oct 19, 2008.

1. crgbut147

crgbut147 New Member

Hi all,

I have a friends computer that won't boot up at all.

He as also lost the Windows XP pro disk to do another clean install.

However the 25 digit windows XP pro activation key is still on the tower case.

I do have a windows XP pro disk which came with a different activation key of course.

Could I do a clean install with my disk using the windows XP pro activation key on his tower's case?

The only doubts I have is my friends computer is a advent oem. Would my friends computers activation key have a problem with my micro-soft XP pro disk (not a oem) during install?

Or is my friends computer activation key to be used by advent only ( Do Manufacturers buy activation keys like Dell, HP, Compaq, or advent off Microsoft to compile their own Windows XP disks)?

Answers will be much appreciated.

WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is possible that the key on the label will not do anything. Many major manufacturers use a system called "System Locked Pre-installation". The restore disks supplied will reinstall the machine *without requiring a key*. They do this by checking with the BIOS.

If this is the case then you will need to get him to buy a new copy of XP and use the key from that copy. You will also need to get all the drivers from the manufacturers website.

On the other hand - if the label key works then it isn't SLP!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

crgbut147,

Questions:
    1. What kind of Certificate of Authenticity is on your friend's computer?
    2. What kind of Certificate of Authenticity is associated with your MS Windows XP?

Here's a link to find out what kind of Certificate of Authenticity you're dealing with...
    Link: What is a Ceritificate of Authenticity (COA)? - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA