CIW with Skillstrain

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by bheather, Sep 17, 2006.

1. bheather

bheather New Member

Hi guys,

I've just signed up for a course with Skillstrain for 2750 pounds and i'm having serious second thoughts since reading through the forums. I also did course searches today and some places offer same course for 1220???? maybe its not the same.

They told me when i qualify that i would def be on 25k and it seems not, plus im not sure what their teaching methods are like.

THey do give you a top spec computer, but do i want to pay all that money for a certificate i can't really use.

Has anyone recently passed the course,who was a beginner when starting? and have built their own website?

I would be grateful for some advice so that i can cancel it.

The 'Interview' is annoying, they do try to get to the bottom of why you want to do the course, i just want to learn how to do design my own website, and maybe get some freelance work, do some mini projects etc not a full time job, so is it worth it???????

sorry to go on for my first posting but it is a lot of money to part with...

Will be grateful for any advice given.

Hxxxxx

WIP: CIW Master Web Manager
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Heather

Welcome to CF:biggrin

if you do a keyword search above you will find loads on skillstrain.

Look at your contract I'm sure there is a clause in their about if your not happy you can cancel within 14 days of signing!

Maybe you should try CATS

they offer affordable web site design courses!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    ive just seen a trailer for a program on telly this coming week about Skillstrain and unhappy customers.. Think its called our london or something.. Maybe check the listings, could be of interest.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  4. bheather

bheather New Member

Hi there,

thank you cheeky for that information will definetly check them out. Also will look out for that program this week, ive decided to cancel it anyway as i ve had time to think about it and i would rather learn as a hobby than undertake a year of study.

Will get back to let you know if the cancellation process was good/bad.

Hxx

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good for you Heather!

When you get chance have a look at a thread called Self Study written by Zimbo!:biggrin

Hey Kat what channel is that program on about skillstrain?
    Can you post it here?

6. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Already on today - if you want the download try PMing Baba :biggrin

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks G-man!

Luckly I have got access to Sky so I managed to watch the London Version! I also recorded onto DVD for putting it on the web, but Baba beat me to it!

Well done Baba:thumbleft :clap

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I know I'm great!:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. bheather

bheather New Member

Hi guys,

just to let you know that i received my refund from skills train last week. I sent back the briefcase with all the programs and pestered them as they only seem to do admin on a thursday!!!!! Whole process took a month. Anyway, i feel better for cancelling the course and least i got my money back and did not have to pay out more.

Good luck to anyone starting or wishing to cancel with skills train

Hxxxx

10. CK34

CK34 New Member

Hi all
    women from skillstrain came today, it was 3k for the course, 75 quid a month for 38 months i think.
    Have got 7 days to cancel so i decided to google skillstrain and found bad stuff about them and actually how good it is and whether its worth the money?