CIW Whats the best way to study

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by DazzaCrawf, Jul 15, 2008.

1. DazzaCrawf

DazzaCrawf New Member

Hi Guy's

I'm new to the forum and I've been reading some of the feed back on the CIW courses and I'm really impressed.

I'm currently trying to study for the CIW Website Design Manager and some of it is ok to get the head round it, but after reading some of the threads, I think I have to invest in some other books to learn more on CSS and XHTML.

I'm only just started the course and on TMA 3, section A, part 1, and it was'nt too bad but I'm worrying how to remember everything and what to take notes on as there is no point copying everything from the book.
    I suppose its just some guidance that I'm needing to get going with this and I think it might need alot of time and patience.

I would like to know about other peoples study plans and how much work rate has to be put in to get through reasonably well

Thanx Guys any feed back will be much appreciated:blink

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), most people you'd find on this site study the self study route. This means they buy the books and necessary materials and start studying at their own pace and ask questions on this forum when stuck or vice versa.

Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Welcome to CF. Can i ask what your intentions are by taking the design managers route???
    I don't want to be disrespectful or anything but it's seems like people are taking this path thinking that they will get themselves a managers/senior position once they have passed. Not saying this is your intentions, but you are taking on a lot if all you want to do is become a web designer!

Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  4. DazzaCrawf

DazzaCrawf New Member

Hi nelly,

I'm currently working as a chemical process operator ( I make controlled drugs ) which is a very well paid job, but unfortunately I have contracted an industrail disease and I'll be getting medically payed off soon, I will have to change career completely due to this. I have an interest web design and would like to further my knowledge and maybe one day get a career out of it, I know this is'nt going to be easy but having an interest I think may just help me along with it.
    I'm doing the course through skillstrain and it cost me £2500 (alot of money I know) so I dont want it to be wasted, and, if I get employment through it then that will be a great bonus.

Just now its just knowing how much to take in and what to revise and take notes of, and also, doing portfolios- what is the content and should they be live or just examples to show your skills.
    I would love to become a web designer and its a goal I would love to achieve, I live just outside edinburgh and I think there is alot of jobs out there in this chosen field in this area, so do you have any advise on how
    to get into this field.

5. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Hia to everyone, ive just slipped on to this forumn, and just wanna put my side accross, first good luck to DazzaCrawf on your studies, i been on it for a yr or so, hard to find time to study, but when i first started i use to worry that i wouldnt digest it all, DO NOT RUSH IT, you will take it all in trust me, the brain just soaks it all, but dont do what i did when i first started, i left it, got disheartned, was very hard to get going again, but i did, and the moral of this story, STUDY on a daily basis, sounds like youve just started aswell, so just enjoy the first manual, take it all in, but dont fret about it, mangled my brain, still does, but it'll all make sense in the end.REMEMBER, everything has a web site, so thats were web designers come in.

Ps: once ive achieved my degree, ill keep on moving in this fielld, developer etc etc etc!:eek:

WIP: Hoping to gain
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some use periods... others do not. :biggrin

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Eh. you must no english m8, whats up with ya!

8. BosonMichael

I know English, yes... but I don't do txtspk. If it's worth saying, it's worth saying well. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Here here!

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  10. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Well maybe you should join the que of people who don't, eh.There, will that do you!

Dont insult me mate, im on here to help, you understand.

11. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

No, sorry im just tired and had an argument with the missus, so bit touchy sorry, we should write correctly, ok.

12. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Very sorry to hear about your industrial disease!! Hope you are going to be okay?

The only advice i can give you is to take it step by step. Don't just use what material skills-train gave you either. When i was studying for my exams, i learned more from other sources, like online tutorials and books i brought off Amazon. I found a good way of learning to. I wrote down exactly what i wanted to learn, such as xhtml, CSS, xml, Flash/Actionscript, Photoshop and illustrator and spent two days on each one. After a few months i released i had good (if only basic) knowledge of all these.

And you will probably find that you are better at something or like something better. Like for me i love flash and actionscript and i released that i was better at Photoshop then illustrator. So i focused on what i didn't know and got better at them.

Wish you all the luck M8!!!!!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  13. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

I suppose it depends which level of the CIW cert you're going for really, mine has 5 exams at the end as a minimum they do list them try going to the CIW cert website for an idea.

I know that when I joined them they ave me a sheet in the starter pack that told me the areas the exams covered. Also as with school it seems like the TMA's cover the main focus of what will be covered in the exams (can't quote me though because the exams have not yetbeen done) :)

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  14. BosonMichael

I make my living off of writing well, so what incentive is there for me to change? I've even gotten a job offer through posting on IT certification forums just like this one. I can guarantee that I wouldn't have gotten the offer had I not presented myself in a professional manner. You never know who is reading your posts...

We're here to help too... so allow us to help you while you help others. ;)

15. DazzaCrawf

DazzaCrawf New Member

Hi all,

Firstly I would just like to thank you all for the really sound advise, I'm so glad I came across CF as the help is really genuine.

It's true what you are saying in that it can be easy to be bisheartened and start to fret about the course but I will take my time and also look at other ways as well.
    The other thing that was quite helpful was that I'm interested in photoshop and as a side line could learn that as well but I'll try not to get bogged down with it all. ONE STEP AT A TIME.

Well I suppose its time to get the head in the books and get going but I'll keep in touch and will visit here regularly just to you know how this are going or if I need help or a question to ask

once again guys thanks very much for all your advise it was much appreciated

DazzaCrawf:D

16. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

:eek:Hia to everyone, and you bosson, i do truly appreciate this forumn, i'm just going to delve into Perl, as a side study to what my primary course is, i'm sure it'll help me learn other coding, thats connected with my Web Design aims.

17. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

:eek:How do you download the Version 5.005 or other latest version of Perl, does anybody know please, because as i tried, the extension was not recognised, please help, do i need winzip or do i include its file ext in my folder options etc.

18. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Where were you trying to get Perl from? Note that 5.005 is very old, you should really be looking for 5.8.

What OS are you installing on?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+