CIW Web Designer.

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by davewossa, Apr 22, 2008.

1. davewossa

davewossa New Member

I am doing this course thro Advent. Have passed 510 and 520 and am taking 525 in a couple of months.

Will this get me into the We design workplace?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

It will *help* to get you into the workplace, but a good portfolio will help a lot more!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. super-rikay

super-rikay Bit Poster

hi dave can i ask how much did it cost you to do the course? thanks

4. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

about £5K I reckon

Thats what they quoted me

Certifications: C&G Print Origination
    WIP: A+, CIW
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Isn't that a question to ask at the beginning, rather than at the end?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

No offence, but.... i can't believe people are still spending 5 grand on material that's easily learn't from online tutorials and books. There's up-to-date tutorials on all things web design from sites such as:

www.lynda.com
    www.learnflash.com
    www.kelbytraining.com
    www.vtc.com

And other sites that are of no cost such as...
    www.w3schools.com
    www.tutorialized.com
    www.gotoandlearn.com

Web design is one part of the big I.T industry that can be learn't from the comfort of your own home at what ever pace you choose! Why would you want to spend five grand doing that?????
    I haven't got anything against training providers ( not much!!), but... they do take the p*ss when it comes to the material their selling! Especially when it comes to web design and with that....CIW!

My advice is not to bother with certs with regards to web design. Why?......well, from experience with trying to get employment, i have only once found a company that recognized the CIW certificate. And the reason....because it's CRAP!!!. It's basic stuff. Okay, you WILL learn stuff you have never knew before but you probably done that from reading this? Maybe?

All the techniques that the professionals use are shown on most of these sites above. If you are stuck?...come here and post, if no joy, do a google search and no doubt somewhere out there is your answer.

Okay...thats enough ranting from me, but it does annoy me when people waste their hard earned money on something so simple to find....! :x

Take care, Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional