CIW Training, the way to go?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Mattm100, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Mattm100

Mattm100 New Member

Hello I am posting to ask you what your opinions of what my first step should be into a career of Web design. I am 20 i finished college a year and a half ago where i took a course called (BTEC National diploma in IT) and anyone that has any idea about this course will know that it is a total waste of 2 years!

I have tried to get into a job on the Diploma and my GSCE results but apsolutly no luck. So i decided maybe to take a course so i rang up Advent and Computeach, Advent replied first so i had an interview with them. Everything he said is what i wanted to hear Money, Amount of jobs etc etc then he came out with the fine details £4750 for 450 hours of study (which a high majority would have been at home).

But still i was all for it because i could pay it back in 12 months when im earning more than i am now, i wasnt totally convinced so i spoke to my sisters boyfriend who has made mistakes but he is now getting to where is wants to be (he went to uni did well but hated every minute of it, then decided to do a course but then near the end of it he hated it and he still forked out a fair bit.)

He thought it would be better for me if i didnt take the course save myself 5 grand, build up a portfolio (which i have from when i couldnt drive and *legally* drink i had built websites from templates, designed the templates my self etc etc) and then maybe learn the course material without going through a company.

So i am just asking you guys to give me your opinions of where i should go from now, because most of you are alot wiser than me so you can advise how to go about starting.

Cheers

(Apoligies if this is in the wrong board)

Certifications: BTEC ND ICT
  2. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Hello m8, welcome to CF.

I know what you mean about computeach and advent. I've had them both around mine feeding me bulls**t on how much i could earn and how good my job prospects would be, and then go and whack a 5 grand price on it all.

I was pretty disgusted by them to be honest, especially when computeach and I.Tskills both said that i wouldn't get a job until i finished the whole training which would take me two years.

So, i set out to find as many books on CIW and web design as i could and learn from them. I have just being discussing CIW with a few other members of CF( I.T Hurts) which you might find interesting. Its on the " CIW foundation basic questions" thread.

Certifications: CIW Professional
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You may not necessarily even have to earn CIW related certs as long as you learn the technologies they map to. Then start using those technologies to create websites and start building up your portfolio. Sell yourself by what you can do.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pay it back in 12 months? In your existing job, or in a new job? And if in a new job, are you believing salary data they're feeding you?

...so what happens if a "life event" happens, or you don't get a job or a raise making more than you're making now? Then what?

Self-study is the way... and I recommend it even higher, considering you've already started a portfolio.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!