CIW Skills Train Member here.. what u think

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by philngems, Jul 10, 2007.

1. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

Ok.. read some real good stuff on here about the course and my expectations afterwards. So this is my plan:

Work through all TMA's and complete them.

Use the techinques i have learned to build a few basic sites

After i am completly happy with the sites i have built and feel 100% confident i will go out in the big world and look for work.

Then i will get round to complete my exams.

Live happily ever after.

What u recon?:blink

2. pinkfluff

pinkfluff Bit Poster

good luck, i'm doing the same as you

Certifications: -
    WIP: CIW
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like utopia mate!

Good luck to you.

I like the 'live happily ever after' bit!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

Well thats the plan.. i think to do that i will have to leave the uk.. hate this country.. move to the land of oz or maybe newzealand... cant wait..

5. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Bit Poster

trouble is what you learn on the course doesnt prepare you for real world coding imho.ive learnt more about xhtml and css in 2 days on free tutorials off the net than my ciw course so far.its ok knowing all the theory but its the practical side where you will find work and the course doesnt really cover that

WIP: CIW Foundations
  6. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Yep could not agree more m8, I have done all my TMA's and I am preparing for the foundation exam (in between my A+ essentials like :blink ). Free tutorails are the way to go in terms of getting hands on experience with web design tools and styling aspects. I suggest you get on the Internet get some free stuff and apply it to your theory based work as you are doing it, that way you get to learn the boring stuff and actually see how it works.

Try this site our for size m8 http://www.how-to-build-websites.com

Good luck

C:D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  7. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

Thanks all for all your replys.. I have t admit i did get a little carried away when i started the course with what i would achieve but now my feet and firmly on the ground.

:biggrin

8. djdogukan

djdogukan New Member

come on guys it can`t be that bad...end of the day after finishing the course with good results im sure you can find something(a job)
    not long ago i have started the ciw now im on TMA7 and what alot of you says is start a fear inside of me...:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :hang

WIP: ciw
  9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I must agree with Fatwaz. The course material will give you a basic idea of the stuff you need to know in the real world and the certification may give you the edge in an interview against someone with similar skill/experience. Do not be mistaken in thinking that the course teaches you all you need to know. If I were you I would take the exams right away AND start getting experience designing websites. I would also subscribe to a few web design newsletters to find out what technologies are in common use at the moment.

You should view each topic of the course material as a "primer" and continue reading deeper into the topic to see exactly how/if it is used.

Think about buying some good reference books on stuff like networks, css, javascript, perl, php. A very good site for books on design principles is "Sitepoint", you can also subscribe to some newsletters here (sitepoint, that is!!).

I hope this helps. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)