CIW Foundation Examination

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by OLIgarchic, Sep 7, 2005.

1. OLIgarchic

OLIgarchic New Member

*FORWARDED FROM WRONG FORUM*

I work for a small IT support company.

I do have a quick question. Hope I'm ok to post it here and if not then my hand will be held out ready for the slap on the wrist!

I have had a quick scan over what is involved in the CIW foundation exam and consdering my experience and current degree of knowledge I wondered if I would be able to get away by buying a book (or two) and studying them before taking the exam. If it is not advisable then sombody please do say. I'm just thinking of my finances and some of the courses are expensive.

Thanks for the nice welcoming guys! Will help where and when I can.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know much about the CIW exams, but I would think that if you feel comfortable with the exam objectives and brush up on your weak areas then you should be able to take just the exam.

8)

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi.

Books and resources for CIW exams have been discussed elsewhere in this section, so you might need to do a search.

CIW Foundation is a bit of a mixture, it covers an awful lot of ground, but you don't need to go in to huge detail. Network technologies is really complicated for a novice, but should be fairly straight forward for a professional.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi all

Can I just point out that there are three parts to the CIW foundations course.
    I realise that you don't want to go through it all with a training company, but I have noticed a couple of books, but how good they are, I wouldn't really like to say.
    i don't want to mislead you at all.

The CIW Foundations exam is now known as 1D0-510, and it was previously 1DO - 410. If you haven't an up-to-date copy of the right book, I suppose it could be inaccurate.
    The old subjects used to be:

Internet Fundamentals
    Web-Authoring Fundamentals
    Network Fundamentals.

the new stuff is called:

Internet Business Foundations
    Site Development Foundations
    Network Technology Foundations

I hope this hasn't confused you, but It is honestly what I know because I did the first 3 subjects when i first enrolled, and now I have to re-cap by doing the new folders too!.

I hope someone can help you more

Dawn

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl