CIW foundation basic question

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by IThurts, Feb 12, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

lol -was that supposed to be a reality check that no job is actually asking for that CERT?:blink

When searching for jobs in re to web design, i more look at "junior web designer etc"

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea i might just get the books offered up by him tbh. I think its a good idea for me to cover the basics at least that revolve around the exam, and then ill search online to further develop my skills in a said area.

3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

There's been quite a few questions on here about CIW so I thought I'd check how it ranks - that page hurt! :blink

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

If it was a widely recognised exam, I'd say go for it - but given that it's not, try shopping around and spending your money on books which will get you a lot further.

I know I'm being very anti-CIW here, but that's based on my work in the field, feedback from colleagues and awareness of the industry.

5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I do follow your logic, however given the type of "studier" (if thats a word) that i am, i know that CIW foundation based/targeted exam books will benefit me more-so than books that cover more content than the exam is offering. Im sure you can appreciate my logic in this case :)
    After the exam...BOOM...i will look into getting more info, be it from the internet of book based that does what you are referring to. Its more so a personal preference than anything for me.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One way of looking at it is that the CIW is a more-or-less structured introduction the the Web world. Going on your own you might not cover all the bases.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Yer, i only came to realize it when i stopped by here (on this forum) one night, and had a lot of my questions answered. One thing about this forum is that there is a lot of good informative people that are always willing to help. I was told to search for jobs relating to the CIW cert and when i did, it hit home. NOTHIING!!!

So i decided to stop my studies, which was just after passing my site designer exam. But, i learn't enough to get by and spur me on to learn as much as i could. I found sh*t loads of tutorials online and swear by them.

www.gotoandlearn.com
    www.learnflash.com
    www.lynda.com

As well as buying CBT (computer based training ) from EBAY!

Look....if i was you.....i wouldn't bother with the CIW books. I would honestly say that without feeling bad, as it wasted my time. I could have learn't so much more if i had began using other books and tutorials.

And if you ever need any help with web design.....?.........come here and post! And if you want, Pm me your home address and i can send you some good tutorials and ebooks on web design. Without upsetting anyone (bosonMichael)

Later!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  8. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yes, this is more or less my worry in a nutshell. lol...i like how you summed up my 4 page feelings into 2 lines:eek:..............:biggrin

More to the point...i guess if i didnt do the course, i would simply need to review the modules it covers via othr sources? Is this round about the right way to go about it, and is this a sensible thing to do?

9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

So are you saying to not do the exam and to not bother to aquire the certification? OR just not to bother with the CIW xam specific books but still as a goal take the exam for certification, all the while aquiring more widely covered books?

Thank you soooo much for the offer of the books...do you NEED my home address for an E-book?lol?? did you mean my email addy? I would be eternally grateful if you were serious about your offer :)

I guess if i write down th modules i could learn the exam content using other books?

10. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Yes!!

11. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

SO what your saying is .......yes? :biggrin:biggrin
    sorry am i becoming annoying?

12. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I.T Hurts........

It's like this. If you want to learn web design and have the money to spend on exams as well as the training books?....then do that! Use the ciw books, what have you got to lose?

But as you now know......it wont guarantee you work, but it will certainly gain you some knowledge!

Learn from all sources....online tutorials, ebooks, CIW manuals, look at other people's web sites and learn from them. Do a google search and see what you can find? Even buy some out of date books on ciw ( IDO 420)

But you need to sit down and try and study in a methodical manner. Don't start something else until you have mastered the first thing you started.( which should be (x)html & css, *these need to be learn't together*).

Look on web sites such as www.sitepoint.com for up-to-date books. And there's always amazon.

I just read your PM, so i will send you over some ebooks.

Regards, neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  13. stormkrowe

stormkrowe New Member

Hi,
    new poster been reading all the web design advice i can find, its been very interesting you guys are great!

As far as i can see the CIW doesn't seem to have much reall life credability (spoke to a friend who works for a big car lease company and thier web dev team were unsure about how much long term credablilty it will have)
    so i have looked at National IT. i haven't seen as much negitive stuff about these guys as about others (computeach, skillstrain etc).

They offer qualifications accredidted by microsoft (Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0, Application development foundation and Web-Based Client Development) and macromedia (Macromedia Dreamweaver Devleloper and Macromedia Flash Professional) packaged as different levels of course. the Silver level covers the above and the Platinum also covers Microsoft SQL and a CompTIA project.

they dont have these details on their site as far as i can see or i would have linked them :)

does this seem like a viable alternative and does anyone have an experince with National IT?

any help most appriciated
    SK

PS
    I do know my spelling is off, i just don't know how to fix it :)

Certifications: none
  14. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi SK, and welcome to the forum.

Which direction do you actually want to go in regarding web work? It would be better to determine that, then plot out your studies from there. And have another chat with your friend about the backgrounds of the people working in the web dev team.

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi SK and welcome to CF!

The main difference between CIW and the alternative you have found is that CIW is very broad. The one you found concentrates on just two sections - MS .Net and Macromedia. Not everyone uses those so going for those may limit you a bit.

IMHO the *real* credability comes from a portfolio of your work.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. stormkrowe

stormkrowe New Member

Hi guys,
    cheers for the rapid response! i figured as much about eh portfolio as i keep seeing people say that, i have one up now that is static (cant do flash etc hence the further training) www.elitesporthorses.co.uk, made for a friends' show jumping buisness and have a couple in dev at the moment, i am hoping these will help.

im still quite shaky on which routes there are, what exactly is the differnce between a web developer and a web designer, i do both code and graphical stuff most of the time anyway.
    cheers

17. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi there,

sorry for being abrupt before, seems that every day people are asking which qualifications and certifications to take, and I keep telling them that it's a self-study field.

Simply put, web designers make sites look nice, web developers make sites do stuff.

I do development, not design, but a sample path would be:
    - Foundation: HTML, CSS, Javascript, Dreamweaver
    - Design: more Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash
    - Development: ASP, PHP, .Net, MySQL, Perl

18. stormkrowe

stormkrowe New Member

thats cool, didn't think it was snappy just a valid question :) that helps alot, will keep y'all informed about progress :)

19. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

What's going to matter is what you know, and how confident you are with it - and remember that a portfolio doesn't just show off your skills, it gives you a chance to tinker with stuff as you learn them :biggrin

If and when you get to PHP, you can install a mini webserver on your PC - www.wampserver.com; for ASP you just need to enable IIS.

There seems to be more of a market for developers, by the way 8)

20. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the info.

I'm in the same boat, signed up to a CIW course (if only i knew then what i know now lol) but im stuck with it so gonna finish it. Im now self learning CSS/XHTML to start getting my portfolio together, then moving onto JScript then PHP/MySQL, maybe then further languages. I'm also doing perl in the CIW course but its all very badly coded (as told by quite a few ppl who know perl well) and its only basics so i dont know where im goin with that. Im more interested into the development side but also doing photoshop to broaden my skills as much as possible

I suppose i just wanted to add my name to the growing list of people stuck with CIW but moving onto the self study route and sorting a portfolio. :)