CIW certifications on a low budget (Please help?)

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by KoldStare, Jan 24, 2009.

1. KoldStare

KoldStare New Member

Hi guys, I've registered recently and I'm very happy to be here. :)

I need some serious advice about acquiring the books & resources needed for studding for the CIW exams (From foundation to Master level)

I'm working as a web designer/developer at a mid size company, I'm kinda forced to take these exams if I ever want to be promoted to a project manager (I have a very solid experience in designing and developing websites) but I lack the certifications to back it up.

But the costs of the self-study kits are ridiculous! So I was wondering if anyone here experienced enough to suggest some cheaper alternatives for studying & acing these exams. :D

This is very serious matter so please I need a good list of alternatives that counts.

Thanks in advance

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you are doing web-development as part of your job then you are *way* ahead of most people taking these certs. This to my mind means that the 'official' books, which have a silly price on them, are not quite so mandatory.

I haven't myself looked at these certs, but the CIW site suggests further material and details which may help you along.

I have looked at some of the material on Perl, and as far as I can see all you need for that part is a good grounding in the language.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Harry's got great advice. Those official books are ridiculously expensive!

Have you considered purchasing some practice exams (from a legit exam provider) to see if you're ready for the real exams?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. KoldStare

KoldStare New Member

Thank you guys for the advice, but it would be more beneficial for me if anyone can provide me with a more detailed resources :)

Most of the practice exams I read are easy enough, but I can't just take the test without studying at least!

Anyone here care to share his experience?

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well if you do a search on Amazon, there's a whole range of CIW books and if you don't mind "not brand new" you could find some real bargins. And as for practice exams CIW do them direct online, another vendor would be Measure-Up.

Other certification programs that I would say to look into would be Adobe's ACA range of certs.

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Sharepointuser

Sharepointuser New Member

FYI I undertook Foundation (online) through the University of West Scotland for £200 which includes an exam at their test centre, although as I live in the midlands I had to take it locally rather than trawl up there. They also do other certs including Site designer (starting in June 09).

:D

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

ciwcertified.com has detailed list of exam objectives.
    If you meet them, you could just go for it...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD