Citrix

Discussion in 'Networks' started by juice142, Mar 19, 2006.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hey everybody.

Having done a quick search here on the topic of Citrix I find several interesting threads.

I would like to ask the current forum experts their opinions on this form of networking.

It's that simple. :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I haven't come acress a Citrix environmemt personally but I have spoken to other who have used it. From what I understand, and I could be wrond, it is a thin client system. This means that all apps and OS's are served to the clients when the machine starts up from a central server. When the user gets on their screen and the apps they can use is all decided by the sys admin and their policies. Everything is administered centrally.

That's very basically it.

The LINK is for the support site at Citrix

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK - I'll give a simple answer - It depends! <giggle>

Citrix (and there are similar technologies about) is great when you have remote people who need to log onto the corporate network and work as if they are in the office. There are technicalities that can make running it difficult - so it isn't for everyone.

But that isn't the only company senario about.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Citrix is like Windows TS (Terminal Services) on steroids. You can do most of what Citrix can do in TS but Citrix has been the market leaders in this arena for many years. I have been told that Citrix comes into it's own if you have a need for centralised applications and or remote connection and you have more than 75 users. It is overkill to use it in smaller businesses. It is also fairly complex to administrate and expensive.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

amongst other things, i've been administering citrix environments for the last couple of years, and i'm also citrix certified. citrix is a nice product, although a bit pricey. when used under the right circumstances it can be a great way to deploy applications. however, it can be a b!tch to setup. that is, installing it is easy enough, and configuring the basic microsoft products (mostly office) is also not too difficult, but as soon as you need to deploy some more exotic applications (which most companies have), then things can get a bit hairy.

6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys.

I'm off to the company's main site tomorrow and Wednesday so that the ubertechs can show me around our new Citrix boxes and the 2K3 server upgrade.

Should be fun... :blink

J.

7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Quick update on this...

Great to see MCSEs completely at a loss to understand why:

a: It's doing That, not that...

And:

b: It was doing that, and has been doing that until you walked in the room. You b*stard.

As a yet to be certified Desktop Support Analyst this fills me full of hope. :cheeseyg

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of IT

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong