Citrix XenServer

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Makaveli, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I am going to be looking into Citrix products starting with XenServer and wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of any good blogs or websites. I am specifically looking to setup a home lab to test the features of XenServer and XenCenter, possibly nested in my current VMware lab if it doesnt cause too many issues.

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Good choice XenServer is a good hypervisor and even better for you its now open source so all the advanced features that other hypervisors charge for will be free to you which makes labbing a whole lot easier than doing to 30 or 60 day shuffle. There are a couple of books on amazon on XenServer, they are published by Packet though and generally they are good overview material but do not get down the the meat of the technology.
    Edocs also includes PDF guides to get you started located here XenServer 6.2.0 - Citrix eDocs

But I think really the truth of it is that there are no blogs dedicated to XenServer and even I've not blogged about it much. Just start out with the above resources and when you get stuck google it. Also watch out for self fencing when you only have 2 hosts (that reminds me I've got a draft post on that somewhere).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks dales! Like you say it is very difficult to find blogs for XenServer in comparison to VMware products for example. I will take a look at that link.