Citrix Certifiication/Study Books

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by kevicho, Aug 1, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys, as my contract is ending im buying as many "expense claimable" items as possible, to aid me in my IT career, On my To Do list is citrix

At my current role we use Citrix presentation server 4.5, and have been shown or figured out how to do a few things, but want to get more in depth knowledge as i like the platform.

Can anyone recomemend any good books?

Have been on amazon as a guide, and found the following

Securing Citrix XenApp Server in the Enterprise (Paperback)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Securing-Ci...UTF8&coliid=I7DOTSJJS2WD2&colid=2CWG1EZ9WB7TU

Citrix XenApp Platinum Edition for Windows: The Official Guide (Paperback)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citrix-XenA...TF8&coliid=I1444DBB40QZDU&colid=2CWG1EZ9WB7TU

and

Citrix XenApp Platinum Edition Advanced Concepts: The Official Guide (Paperback)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citrix-XenA...TF8&coliid=I2WTVT27OR0JMS&colid=2CWG1EZ9WB7TU

Should these books give me all the relevant information needed to setup and maintain a citrix infrastructure, and pass the relevant exams?

If anyone has any recommendations they would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Kevin

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sorry should list the certs level im after, well probably CCA
    -{
    Exams are
    256 Citrix Presentation Server 4.0: Administration
    259 Citrix XenApp (Presentation Server 4.5): Administration
    }-
    and maybe CCEA down the road, but want to see how far my next role takes me, and access gateway is also used here and is of interest.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think regarding Citrix you might find more useful information on the Citrix web site. At work we use Citrix presentation server 4.5 and most of the issues we come across on a daily basis and resolution is taken from their web site.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm interested in doing a Citrix cert after I finish off my MCSA as I think Citrix is going to kick off in a big way over the coming years as well as VMWare. I have noticed there doesn't seem to be much in the way of study/guide material. Also I like to install the software I'm learning on a PC but I don't think you can download a trial version of XenApps (Presentation Server).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No I think your right, I cant find a trial version anywhere either, its probably something you'll need to study from a book (if you can find a good one) and with a bit of fiddling with your works citrix servers whenever you can. I'm quite interested in doing a citrix one too (citrix+vmware+thin client=good niche to be in early!)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

looks like i've found a 30 trial vhd file for xenapp, might be worth a go to see if thats any good for studying with.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

How is your study for the 70-291 coming on?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. michael78

Cool is there a link to it mate

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

oops yes sorry its http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=658703

bit slow with the 291 at the mo, spending most of my waking hours over at a new arts center my employer has built which is opening on wednesday, and as usual they have given us a tiny server room where you cant get to the back of the rack without a gcse in gymnastics and and of course they have given us half the amount of time we told them we would need to make sure everything is up and running.

Oh yes and we told them we need aircon in the server room (obviously) at the buildings initial planning stages......guess what it doesnt have!

Still our servers there are running on vmware foundation and we are using thin clients that connect directly to a citrix desktop so thats really keeping me interested at the moment.

I really must study the dry 291.... oooh look a new cool citrix button i've never seen before!

10. michael78

Thats pretty much my situation as well. I need the 70-291 for my MCSA but can't be bothered with it as it's pretty boring and there are other topics that I would rather study and am struggling to do it at the mo.