CISSP

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by mattwest, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I wont bore you with the details but i've managed to get the boss to agree for me to go on a CISSP course (yes i'm bloody gob smacked!!:ohmy )

For those who aren't aware CISSP stands for Certified Information Systems Security Professional. It is designed for chief security officer types and not only do you have to prove you have at least 4 years security related experience you also have to pass a grueling 6 hour, 250 question exam!!

It covers 10 domains (topics) on information security.

My question is has anyone done this? Does anyone have any advice? Any opinions on the certs value? Have you even heard of it??

Cheers!! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The Compliance bod at work has done it. If he can pass it then it can't be remotely technical. As far as I can see its a policy exam - there isn't much technical stuff at all really.

So long as you can understand 'CISSP-ese' you should be OK with it. I know that, eventually, I'll have to do it to get any sort of decent Pen-Test role, but I'm putting it off until I absolutely have to as the last thing I want to do is end up in Policy/Compliance.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well since you asked for *anyones* opinion you going to get mine! Im just a pip squeak in the IT world but i heard of it and i know its very HIGHLY rated apparently a must for a senior security role. Like you say you need to have experience and the exam fee is high but i think you said work is paying? Lucky bugger! :biggrin The other thing i know is dont look at other vendors for an exam guide cause they all seem bad - stick to the (ISC)2 guide (or so i have read somewhere!)

Good luck mate and would be nice to know how you get on!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Well its all confirmed.... i'm on the course in July and i've just filled in the paper work to register for the exam. £310 on top of the course fee's, talk about expensive! :blink

Happily the only expense i've occurred is the cost of the official courseware book.

All that being said i think thats going to be a very intense week! No complaints from me though.... :)

5. drakhan2002

drakhan2002 New Member

It is not an easy test if you don't have a lot Info Sec experience. Although I didn't find the exam hard, I know those who did have some difficulties. The exam is an inch deep and a mile wide. This means that the topics and concepts are not hard to understand at all (in fact, you probably know most of them). The hard part is how much they ask. A bunch of high level questions that cover 10 domains.

I studied approximately 120 hours for the exam. I used the ExamCram CISSP book for an overview of the subject material. I used the cccure.org web site for most of my other study materials. Their CISSP testing engine is the best (free) testing engine I've ever seen. I used that a lot before the exam. I did the "Pro" level (the hardest) questions until I consistently score 80% or better.

On the day of the test, just make sure you bring a pencil sharpener, something to munch on (an energy bar or something), and maybe some water. My testing facility had water available. They won't let you use your own pencils, but in the same token, they didn't have a pencil sharpener (thank goodness I was prepared!).

Anyway, good luck on your new adventure...it is a challenge, but well worth it. There are approximately 50,000 CISSP's worldwide...come on and join the growing crowd.

Certifications: CISSP, ITIL, CEH, Master's in InfoSec
    WIP: CISA
  6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Well guys its confirmed.... i'm on the CISSP course starting the 9th July.... so just over 2 weeks away. :D

Its going to be a hard 7 days and i cant say i'm looking forward to the 6 hour, 250 question exam, but i am really looking forward to learning the content of the course!

Bring it on :rolleyes: :D

7. Iceberg

Iceberg New Member

Good luck on that!

I read part of the material and will probably go for it in a year (when I have enough experience on paper :oops: ). It's not very techy, more about etiquette and audits
    Nevertheless, it's quite a massive certification to get on the current market.

Certifications: MCSA +S, Sec+, CCNA, CCSP
    WIP: MCSE, CEH, CHFI, LPT
  8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi people.

Well just a quick update but i did the CISSP course and exam last week.

6 days straight of 8am to 8pm in the classroom with the 6 hour exam on the 7th day (Sunday).

I managed to do all 250 questions in 5 hours and i'm reasonabley confident i will pass (I will find out next week sometime).

Anyway the course was really good, ok 1500 slides on 10 domains of Info Security is hardly riveting, but our instructor was from Canada and made it interesting. All in all i learned alot and i'm waiting in anticipation to get my exam results.

I'd recommend it to anyone who can get on the course and who has an interest in Info Security or just security in general, but its definately not for newbies or anyone who doesnt have some grounding with basic IT concepts.

Also the experience requirements are going up to five years in September and they are making it harder to get referred into, but if anyone wants any questions answered, give me a shout! :biggrin

9. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Congrats man, hopefully your gona pass! you mentioned "referd into" does that mean not anyone can do a CISSP?

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good stuff man, good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Good to hear man. Its a cert im going to look into once i have the experience. BTW its only experience related to security that counts right?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah its direct security experience, but the good thing is that it can be spread throughout your career.

When i mentioned "referred into" basically at the moment a manager in your company can validate your CV to say they believe you have the right amount of experience. (Then a certain percentage get chased up - phone call etc to verify).

However from October this year only people who hold any ISC2 qualification (CISSP and the other couple of qualifications they do) will be able to counter sign your experience.

So i might be open to a beer or two if anyone wants me to help them out :twisted: :D lol...

13. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

oh right i get it now thanks :) damn 26 and all does qualifications.... :P watch me beat you!

14. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Lol...

Well its not a race my friend! But good luck with your studies anyhow! :D

Alot of the foundations i laid myself for the certs through hard work and self study, but i have been very lucky in recent years to have an employer who is very gernerous with courses and training.

Oh and the list below doesnt include all my certs and all my personal development / qualifications :twisted:

:D