1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CISSP - TP or self study

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Liqua, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Hi,

I am contemplating taking the CISSP exam and I am a little unsure as to how to "learn" for it.

There is only 1 training company in the UK that is authorised to teach people and that's Firebrand. (Read a couple of articles here about them - on the whole OK reviews but some not so)

Has anyone taken the CISSP course via them and what did they think about it? Did you pass? Would you recommend them?

I ask because the £3k residential 7day course is expensive for me - if I pass then it's worth it of course - but that's a risk I am unsure about taking considering todays climate. I have the pre-req. experience so if Audited by (ISC)2 I would be ok, just not 100% sure about being able to retain all the info in 1 week. (Though as the course is not until Jan I do have some time to read in advance) Self study is obviously a hell of a lot cheaper but that requires self discipline that sometimes I lack.

I think I would respond better to a class room experience so could also consider the blended CBT course by Shon Harris / SANS if anyone has experince of these too?

I do appreciate that any views of them / the courses are the opinion of the poster and not everyone will get the same experience, but I am interested non the less.

Liqua.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

My suggestion is self-study. I've done the self-study with some colleagues and found it fairly good, especially the Shon Harris book. Even the folks I know that have done the 1-week course did the self-study first and took the course to strengthen the points.

Best of luck... :study

3. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Thankyou.

Liq.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? Where did you hear that?

I think these people might beg to differ:
    QA-IQ
    Learning Tree
    IT Governance
    Global Knowledge

I used Firebrand (or 'The Training Camp' as they were known then) about a year ago for the CEH. They were alright - no better or worse than any other TP I've ever used. Three grand is ridiculously expensive for the CISSP - every other TP I've linked to above do it considerably cheaper - some of them over a thousand quid cheaper.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome back Zeb 8)

btw did you notice you nominations is the avatar and advisor award threads?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Link - My mistake: there are 2 "officially recognised" training providers for ISC2 in the UK - I only remembered about the Firebrand one as I could not get hold of the other at the time of posting my presumtion was they were not offering training anymore.

Also, I quote from an email received from ISC2 themselves (Patricia Reiner - Client Services) when comparing their prices at the affiliates to the likes of Shon Harris & SANS (which are comparible in price):
    However, the ones you mention offer CISSP boot camps but are not official (for what that's worth)

The cheaper ones you saw were not rediential courses - I live in Manchester and I could attend local ones for about the same as you linked (which is the same price as the Firebrand course) - the bootcamp option at £3k was for living expenses, food, the whole schebang. Total immersion.

Them being a much of a muchness is welcomed as I am quite hesitant to part with such money in these times (recession) so I am going to try and self learn. :(

Liq.

7. ryanthelion84

ryanthelion84 Nibble Poster

Hey guys...what are the pre-reqs for CISSP just out of interest? It's an area that interests me...

Cheers,

Ryan

Certifications: 70-290, PRINCEII Practioner, ITIL V3F
    WIP: VMWare ESX VCP
  8. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Their Web site tells you all you need to know: link :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!