Cisco SDM / CCP - why is it a piece of crap? ;-)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by m1979, Aug 26, 2010.

1. m1979

m1979 Bit Poster

What do you thing? I usually hear that it is because 'no one uses it, we use CLI only...'

But... well... take a look at linksys by Cisco, they were able to create a nice and easy interface. What about SDM? Crashes, problems with Java, not easy to use...

Does anyone have any more experience with CCP, I saw it and I am not impressed...

Max

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No idea as to why it is a piece of crap... yet the fact remains that it is a piece of crap. It's buggy and it's not very configurable. By contrast, it is quite easy to configure exactly what you want using the CLI.

Comparing Linksys to Cisco is like comparing apples and oranges. Linksys routers can do a small fraction of what Cisco routers can do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. kazan

kazan Bit Poster

I've used SDM and it was nightmare. Then uploaded only CCPexp and it's much better (it doesn't crush & you don't have to worry about java ver anymore etc). But it still looks the same and you can't configure too many things.
    Although the full ver of CCP on your PC can help you to configure and monitor your router in easy and nice way.

|Kazan|

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    WIP: 70-271 & 70-272
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

What oranges can do that apples can't? :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

The SDM sucks and blows, no end of grief to be had on the CCNA security when trying to get the IPS to work via SDM, via command line IPS works like a dream. Getting Logging to work too via SDM, I could go on. The only time I use SDM is to get Site to Site VPN's setup and then by the time I have logged into SDM I could configure most of it via CLI. SDM sucks, CLI Rules!!!

(Although I change my mind when I forget the CLI commands)

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Be orange.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!