Cisco resources

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Jakamoko, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK, lots of us are clearly at varying stages of CompTIA and MCP parts of our courses, but the Cisco CCNA is one of the true Holy Grails of theTechnical & Systems Engineer course.

I know that at least one member in here is about to face judgement day very soon, and lets hope he has a SMOOTH passage through it.

But for the benefit of the rest of us who may still have to face the Cisco challenge, lets hear what resources you use(d), areas you feel are particularly relevant, and give us any other tips you might have.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav

If you follow NITLC then CCNA comes at the end of the course. You can do it at anytime but I would wait until 216 was passed. Just a thought tho it must be re-sat every 3 years so if it is the last thing you do with NITLC then it will last 3 years after you finish your course

My studies have lead me to the conclusion that it is a exam based in the detail i.e. you need to know the commands and OSI and subnetting.

I have used the Sybex book plus the Cisco Press book and the Sybex Virtual lab - think I am about ready for the exam but don't actully care if I pass or not

3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

Just thought I'd stick my oar in. I did CCNA at the start of last year and to be honest wished I'd done it before 216. I felt it would have helped me far better understand the concepts MS were trying to get over for 216 and so made 216 a smoother ride, well sort of :)

I used the sybex study guide and exam cram, though as usual for sybex the end of chapter questions were worthless.

Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Phil

Welcome to the board

Thanks for the tips. I would agree with your 216 comments! I'll let you know how I get on! :\

5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

When are you planning to sit it? Have you booked it yet?

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

As soon as the local exam center re-opens - early August???

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Early August? ....loads of time. Best of luck with it. I know Cisco changed the exam not long after I took it so I don't know what it's like now but the questions were nothing like the essays that Microsoft give.

Phil

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Since this thread is entitled "cisco resources", I thought I'd mention that study guides for the new CCNA exams are available at www.ciscopress.com. Of course this means that Lammle and Odom will have to get cracking since their current works are now obsolete. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

True trip but I can't see the exam changing too much! Anyway I wont be planning to sit it for 2.5 years

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm dragging this post up from the distant past for reasons discussed elsewhere. I just wanted to ask this...

I have the Sybex CCNA book by Todd Lammie (Fourth Edition) for the 640-801. Would I be right in assuming that this is the most current version ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Its certainly the one for the current exam.... however I've not used it so can't say any more than that.

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav

I would strongly recommend you suppliment your study materials with the current offering from Cisco Press. I found I needed the detail that it gave to understand the (very good) Sybex Book.

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm, interesting perspective Phil.

Not sure if I'll have the time, as I'm studying Windows 2000 and would like to finish the course by the end of this year, or start of next year, if possible.At least before they stop doing the exams :oops:

So would you recommend the CCNA before 216 approach for someone in my position :?:

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The first cert exam I ever took was the 70-215 (long story) and I bombed it. One of the reasons (there were lots) is that at the time, I didn't know enough about networking. It's what led me to the decision to take the certs I now have.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Errr no...

I think once you are in the flow of MS keep going til you finish :oops:

16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that Sandy, kind of relieved to ehar that :D

I've actually started to read my 216 study guide, and I think it's the most interesting of the exam books I've read.

Just gotta get these darn 210 and 215 one's out of the way :oops:

Focus :!:
    :juggle

17. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

My own pref would be 210 - 215 - 217 - 219 - 216

18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yes I read this on your website also Sandy.

I was going to ask you about this after I'd passed the 210 and 215, but might as well ask you now.

I know it's your preference, and people are different, but can you explain the benefits here for us of taking 219 before 216.

19. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

No Problem

It is a pesonal thing but I found that 217 was a very logical subject and having done the 219 exam found that it was the application of 217. I felt that I could have done the two exams back to back.

216 on the other hand is a complex subject with lots of topics and a need to know them all in a huge amount of detail. :eek:

20. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Sandy

Not the best place to ask this but i see you study for an LPI cert....

Is it interesting? Challenging? Any good books you could suggest ?

I'm just thinking ahead and another Linux cert would be good for me...

:D

Thanks!

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA