Cisco Online Training - Choosing the right provider

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by TheCake, Jul 11, 2007.

1. TheCake

TheCake Bit Poster

Hi All,

I'm sure this isn't and won't be the first time someones brought this up, but I've been recently inspired and am highly motivated to get my butt in gear and get my accreditation I started a while ago done.

I've got 5 years experience in the IT industry but feel the direction I most want to go down in Cisco based.

A 5-day/7-day course isn't really for me, I have a full time job 9-6pm but as I spend a good amount of time at home feel an online self-learn course would be a good idea - I've done it in the past with IT Essentials and also when I first started studying CCNA a while back.

So my question is, where do I look for affordable and good quality online training. I've seen Sandline, probably like many others which is very good value (always wary) but I want to be able to make sure the course material is good quality (saying that the demo looked pretty good).

Any other companies which stand out as providing this online learning at affordable prices, I have oceans of books at home and Cisco kit/spare computer to work on so its not like I'm not resourced, just need the course material to structure my learning and test me along the way - I find book work can be somewhat tiresome.

Many thanks,

Simon

Certifications: NSE, MOUS
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, CCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm afraid I won't be much help, as I much prefer book learning to online courses, which move far too slow for my liking. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. TheCake

TheCake Bit Poster

Hi Michael. Thanks for the reply. By course, I'm after a self study but online, with work throughs, step-by-step, and then periodic tests etc before like, end of unit exams.

The ones i've seen are 24/7 a bit like IT Essentials and the Cisco online curriculum I used to use at college.

:)

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could try the Open University, that is if they have got their act together since I tried the CCNA with them last year.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. TheCake

TheCake Bit Poster

Not had much luck with my OU. Do you think I could pass a CCNA doing purely home study along with my single router and switch... it would save me a few quid I'm guessing...

6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

A few quid? Could save you tons....

Can it be done? Of course, if you have the self-motivation. Do in two stages, INTRO then ICND. I recommend the Cisco Press exam guides. If you have your own router and switch that will certainly help, or you can use an emulator like Dynamips, and there are places on the 'net where you can buy a few hours of lab time, which may be useful for the ICND where +1 router or +1 switch configurations are needed. Also the Sybex book by Todd Lammle - but only along with the cisco exam guides, as there are bits he misses out.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. TheCake

TheCake Bit Poster

Mac,Allan. Thanks for your help. I'm going to look at the ICND later today to find the information and go from there.

Definately seems a worthy route to investigate. :)