Cisco Meraki Wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Gav, May 14, 2013.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Has anyone had any experience with Meraki wireless devices? Our building is being refurbished, and the idea of going all wireless (to save on cabling costs) has been mooted. The technology does look very impressive, and they're a lot more cost effective when compared to an Aironet based system.

They're currently running an offer where you get a single access point for free if you attend a Webinar.

Cisco Meraki

2. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I have the MR16 and have only spent a bit of time playing around with it so couldn't really give a fair review of it but my initial impressions are good. Solid device and well built. Setting it up is a doddle and it's also good if you don't have a dedicated internet line for guests or l3 network switches as you can set up a guest SSID effortlessly (with splash page and usual guest options etc.) which is isolated from the LAN.

There are a lot more options than I can remember to be honest. I think the license cost is only $300 for 3 years.

My post is probably of not much use but interested to hear about it if someone has more experience with these devices or even competitor ones.

Have you received the free AP?

3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Not yet. We're looking at buying between six and eight MR16s. There are only ~60 of us across two floors but, as we're an IT Company, we probably use our network more than the average company. We have 2x 100Mb lines at our HQ and, at the moment everyone is hooked up to Catalyst 2960s, so a wireless solution would have to provide comparable day-to-day performance.

Our current wireless is handled by "Cisco" SMB (i.e. Linksys with a Cisco Sticker) access points, and they're quite unreliable when you use RADIUS with them, and frequently need to be rebooted.

Their website and marketing speil looks great, and I'm really hoping the devices live up to expectations.

- Gavin

4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I'm not too convinced by this all wireless idea for offices. The setup in general just sounds like it would make issues to me. Wireless is never as reliable or as quick as cabled and I just think its likely to cause complaints from users about the now slower speed in which they are able to do things! Personal opinion of course, but would be intrigued to hear how it goes and if users do see/feel the difference etc!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

+1 on this