Cisco kit supplied with US power cables!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jld2007, May 11, 2007.

1. jld2007

jld2007 Bit Poster

Hi

I have just bought my first Cisco Kit, 877 Router/ASA5505 firewall and Catalyst Express 500 switch, all of which has been supplied with US type power cables, ie not the standard UK 3 pin plugs.....Is this normal??

I can obviously use US to UK converters on but thats not the point or is it?

Can anyone explain what is the norm please!

Many Thanks in advance.

WIP: MCSE?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it would be dependant on who you bought it from. Alot of PC's/Switches that we buy for our place come with both the US and UK leads. But some companies just import the US gear over here, so they would only come with US leads, then they would charge you extra (a couple of quid) for the UK leads. But like I said it does depend who you bought it from, it may also just be a simple oversight when they packed he equipment. Best bet is to contact your supplier who you got the equipment from.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

WOW! £200+ for a router:eek: Why are they so expensive compared to a normal router? D-link for example?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. jld2007

jld2007 Bit Poster

Mainly because of Reliability, Security, and the name. They also are packed full of features!

WIP: MCSE?
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, you have to see the differences between the kit from say Cisco/HP and compare them to say D-Link/Netgear from an admin point of view. However I have to say that they do inflate the price alot.

We upgraded our network infrustucture a couple of years ago from the old 3Com 10meg switches and hubs to a new shiney 100 meg (some places 1gb) one. We put in 5 HP switches and then to save money, we put in a hell of a lot of d-link switches. If there's a problem, the HP switches will tell you what port it's on, with the D-Link ones the switch will tell you there's a problem (but it doesn't tell you where).

For home use or soho, imo any brand will do, but for the mid-large size companies, you needs something more intutitive.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They cost more when you order them with US power cables...

:biggrin

Bad luck mate, I usually get both with mine.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was illegal to sell a product with a US or European type plug in this country. Unless it's an import of course....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA