CISCO IT Essentials

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by paulwatson5, Aug 1, 2010.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hello everyone.

Pretty new to here and im currently studying via self study for A+ which i hope to sit the exams next month.
    After that i start college on 29th November for 13 weeks doing the CISCO IT Essentials course, has anyone does this before?

I'm 28 and i really need some IT certs as i have no work experience and really want a job in IT Support.

After the CISCO course im doing the MCDST course at the same college which is a 10 week course.

That should see me with A+, CISCO IT Essentials and Microsoft Certified. Should this be enough to see me into a IT Support role?

Also, has anyone done the CISCO IT Essentials course and what is it like??

After these courses and hopefully while in an IT job im going to be doing the Network + and CCNA courses with a bit of luck and bit of funding :)

Just need to get a few cheap servers and mess around with them to teach myself networking etc

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I haven't, however one of our tech's have (as part of his training). Personally, I'm not sure about the Cisco IT Essential course, while it's aimed at the Comptia A+ level/standard, you get a "Certificate of Course Completition", rather than a qualification. This is based on the certificate that our tech has shown me.

Good luck with them :)

It'll help. However, please do not think that you will get a role straight away with those certs (or any certs/qualifications). While some people are fortunate to get jobs quite quickly, it take alot more time for most.

From what I've been told, it's based on classes/lectures, assessments then online unproctured exams, but that's just general info.

For the CCNA, I would give it a miss until you have experience working with Cisco equipment. Added to that you need Cisco kit, rather than servers for the CCNA.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Cheers for that advice there. Appreciated.

The reason im doing the CISCO IT Essentials course is because i was planning on doing the MCDST but my college changed the start date from september 2010 to march 2011 and instead put the IT Essentials course first as a "foundation" course for people who dont know a lot about pc's etc.

Now i know a fair bit about pc's, been building, upgrading and repairing for about 12-13 years now and run my own part time business doing pc repairs etc in Newcastle, so the reason im doing the course really is just to busy myself and get a certification/qualification (what ever it is), its only £65 and its only 13 weeks. Its the same tutor so i will be able to form a relationship with him and others on the course before the MCDST starts.

Cheers

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +