Cisco IOS's

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by quackers, Sep 7, 2007.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

I've just picked up a 2504 router, not sure exactly what ios is on it yet. Now i'm wondering, how the heck do you get a new ios?

I'm registered on the cisco site and it wont let me download them, were can you get em from?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From Cisco, with a valid SmartNET support agreement... that's quite literally the only legal way.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

ah right, what a nightmare.

Can you buy them? How much are we looking at?

4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

really? howd do you get a smartNET support agreement, through purchasing their hardware ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. BosonMichael

Yep, you can buy them. I usually just buy mine from the place I buy the router from.

It's not ungodly expensive. Cost depends on the level of support you need, which would probably be the lowest possible level.

You can buy them from places like CDW, but I couldn't find a support contract for the 2504 there... the 2500 series might be past end-of-life support...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

hmm, this could be proving to be more difficult than i first thought :)

7. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Are the ios specific to each device? I've got a 2501 with 12. something on it. Now im not sure if this is possible, can i backup an ios from one device and put it on another?

If that makes sense?

* Puts on his flame proof suite *

:D

8. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

I think your question is perfectly fine as when most of us see our first router we don't even know where to plug the power in.

I'm guessing you know how to console onto your router and when you do you can issue a 'show version' command to see which exact version of code you have.

Almost any 12.x version is fine to play with because it will support routing, access lists etc. The 2500 is very much end of line so you may struggle to get a new version of code for it. If you want to pass the new CCNA you will need a newer model of router which can use the new version of Cisco IOS.

If you need specific IOS upgrade advice let me know and I can post a how to video on youtube...I don't see a way to post them here.

There are places to get IOS images for free on the web but firstly they are illegal and secondly I have heard they mostly contain viruses.

All the best

Paul Browning
    www.howtonetwork.net

9. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Thanks paul,

yes i do know how to console into the router etc, the 2501 i have definately has 12.x on it, 16mb ram at the moment.

I've only just won on fleabay the other router, i'll pick it up on monday and see what delights it has :)

A youtube video would be great :)

10. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i didn't realise you had to pay for the software i was under the impression it was like firmware and was free to upgrade when ever they released an update. it seems its more like an operating system and has to be licensed and paid for.

when you say they're not expensive what sort of prices are you talking about ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  11. BosonMichael

Less than $100, in many cases. Depends on the model.