CISCO IOS Problem-Cisco Router 3640

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by mrbari, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Hi every body,

Hope you can help me out from this weird problem. I would like to install a new IOS on my CISCO 3640 router, but the problem I am facing, the router is not get into the rommonitor or boot from nvram or flash or any where i can write some command. Whenever I switched ON the router, it gives me the following message and keeps sending it......

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    oC3600 processor with 65536 Kbytes of main memory
    Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

open: file "n" not found
    open(): Open Error = -1
    loadprog: error - on file open
    boot: cannot load "flash:n":

Is there any way, so that I can get into router's rommonitor and install the new IOS.

Please HELP ME.

2. Labrat636

Labrat636 New Member

From your output - it would seem you ARE in rommon. Otherwise, the IOS stored in flash should boot automatically. It looks to me like your flash is corrupt or non-existant. I don't know what file "n" is, or why it would be trying to load it. If you can get a rommon> prompt do a dir flash:

3. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

what i am trying to say that I cannt get on to the rommonitor!!!!the following message is keeps comming in...

How come i get onto the rommonitor???Can you please help me.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like your Flash is corrupt. When that happens, you get what you're seeing... but then it's supposed to go to the ROMmon prompt. Perhaps that's gotten corrupted too...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Have you got any solution.....

6. Labrat636

Labrat636 New Member

Has this router ever worked for you?
    It could be a corrupt ROM chip, since you are not getting the ROMMON> prompt.
    Check your comm settings (9600, 8, none, 1). A mismatched baud rate usually gives no output. Try different flow control protocols - hardware, XON/XOFF, or none.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, no... I've never experienced that particular problem, and the only instance I could find on the Net of an admin not being able to get to ROMmon after a corrupted Flash also had no resolution.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Labrat636

Labrat636 New Member

Remove the flash and reboot. If you get the ROMMON> prompt then your flash is corrupt or wrong. If you still get the same error without the flash then I would suspect the ROM chip or, worst case , a bad motherboard.

9. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Hi,
    I actually get managed to get onto the rommonitor naw. So what I am seeing, I have got a booting problem with CISCO 3640 Router. No problem with IOS, a healthy IOS is there on to the router. But every time I have to break the boot sequence and try with this following command

rommon 1 > dir flash:
    File size Checksum File name
    10629452 bytes (0xa2314c) 0x7b15 c3640-is-mz.121-5.T9.bin
    rommon 2 > boot

************* It boots properly***************

But whenever I reload my router and if I don’t use the ''CTRL + BREAK'' to break the boot sequence, it keeps giving me the following error message.....it’s like a loop..... Keeps coming in....

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20) AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I think it’s trying to find a path to flash from where it should boot. But unfortunately it doesn’t have the proper path to find the flash.

What you think? Am I right?
    Could you please help me to resolve this weird problem?
    Please suggest me whatever you think, I will try that. Please help me out.

Thanks

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

see other thread now

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal