Cisco certs

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Theprof, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am looking to finally get the CCNA certifications and while looking at the CCIE cert just for fun to see what the requirements are, I realized on the cisco site that there are no prerequisite certifications that you need to pass, if you have the talent and skill to pass CCIE, you can pass it without doing CCNA or CCNP... I am pretty sure I saw in the past that there were certification prerequisites, although I could be mistaking.

Requirements for Certification

There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other professional certifications or training courses are not required. Instead, candidates must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Its been like that as long as i remember - I'd like to know if anyone actually did go and sit it without ever having certified in the lower certs first!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

A buddy of mine is preparing to take the CCIE voice soon... he has no other certs :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Mate of mine who is programmer and ex cisco employee said he was CCIE without any prerequisites and he did it for a bet, not sure if its true, but he is pretty smart guy and says he had access to all ciscos training resources.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  5. tigrepojke

tigrepojke New Member

CCIE has no prereqs, just a deep pocket as the exam is not cheap and you must go to wherever they have a testing environment (Belgium for Europe)

If you have a brain like a sponge that doesn't leak then do it, otherwise it is wise to do the other certs on the path and you have something to show for your time anyway which will help you with the job market.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNP Voice, MCDST, MCITP, MCSA, MCSE, Zeacom Accredited
    WIP: CCNP Route/Switch
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yeah I am not planning on doing the CCIE, I don't think I'll ever will unless I become a Network Architect or something of sorts. Like you said its too expensive and you REALLY have to know your stuff... My goal is to get the VCDX one day!