Cisco CCNA-CCNP setup with WIC/HWIC cards heeelp

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by mke, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mke

mke Bit Poster

hi,
    i need advise on a small labsetup i am working on. i bought some equipment for my ccna and ccnp studies, but i am still missing a few wic/hwic/nm cards for this. am a bit confused as to what cards will work or not with my setup, since i wanted to include a few additional features like, wireless, adsl2+ and also be able to practice all cisco commands and protocols to pass ccna / ccnp and still have a relative fast network connections (100mbit min).

3 routers (1841, 2611XM, 3640) and 2 switches (2950.x.) . I have also 1 wic-adsl which is limited to adsl 1 speeds, and one WIC serial card.
    I was thinking of pupulating the 1841 with either a HWIC-4ESW, a HWIC-1ADSL, or a HWIC-AP-AG-E for wireless.

I was thinking of getting also 2 more serial cards and 2 x NM-1FE2RW or NM-2FE2W for the 2611XM and the 3640.

Would this setup allow me to connect all devices and also support all ios commands and features?

All routers are maxed in memory and have latest ios.

My problem is that I wanted to have also wireless enabled with the HWIC-AP-AG-E card for the 1841. However I noticed that it only supports a relative old specification and only upto 50mbit network bandwidth with the 802.11a

Is there any other cisco option that allows me to have wireless? and possibly at faster speeds? What about those wireless access points 1250? do i need a wireless access controller to use this or would i just plug it to any spare ethernet port on a switch/router?
    Sorry for my ignorance but haven't setup a cisco lab before and am confused with all that different gear.

If you can recommend any other options i would be greatfull. I hoped there was a 1000mbit ethernet card for the 1841 but i had no luck finding one, so i pressume this doesn't exist?

thanks in advance for your help.

Certifications: ?
    WIP: CCSP
  2. mke

mke Bit Poster

well hello again,

next time i wont say thank you in advance but will offer a coockie to the one who answers first ;p

basically i am stack now with the idea of acquiring the Aironet 1250. One main thing is that i dont know if i need a controller for this, or if it would work only if i plugged it on one of the switches/routers port. can someone please clarify this, there is a coockie here for you :)

also what about any other non ethernet based rj45 NM/WIC/HWIC cards, are they covered on the ccna/ccnp exams? would i need any other cards to work towards this? or are the ethernet based ones coverting all material?

coockies for all :)

Certifications: ?
    WIP: CCSP
  3. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

The 1250 has a gigabit ethernet interface, as you might expect, given that it is a 802.11n device. BTW there are a number of extra bits and pieces to look out for with the 1250 - antennas (dipole, omni, etc.), power adapters/injectors, optional radio modules, etc.

As an aside, what will the 1250 be used for? Just training? The 1250 seems a bit of overkill for most educational purposes - although I'd like having one around the house, it is a wee bit over my budget...

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE