Cisco ACE load balancer - cached mac addresses

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by BraderzTheDog, Aug 22, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi CF,

Just wondering if you know of any issues with cisco ace load balancers caching mac addresses?

Recently I replaced our corporate firewalls with asa 5550's which are public facing. Basically they provide access to our websites via a cisco ace load balancer. Now I don't actually like the product as its pretty much riddled with bugs, however last weekend when I replaced the corporate firewalls I think they may have cached the new firewalls MAC addresses. It took about 50 minutes for the corportate internet and external facing websites to come back up.

I ran a packet capture on the firewall and it was passing traffic, to our ISA servers which is where out traffic going external and coming internal goes through first (yes this is load balanced, just like the actual servers). This would lead me to think its one of two things...

A.) ISA
    B.) Load balancers

I've discovered the ISA's have a default windows timeout of 10 minutes so I would only think it could be the load balancer, 50 minutes is a very long time though?

What do you think?

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+