Cisco 837 Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by TKStealth, Mar 14, 2008.

1. TKStealth

TKStealth New Member

Hiyas i have just got a Cisco 837 Router today and i have set it all up properley internet works and everything but i got one problem i want to run a game server so i PAT the port to the server but every one from the internet can connected to the server but no one from local and so i want to know if i can setup the router so it will let my local lan ips connect to the iternet ip if you get what i mean please get back to me thanks TKStealth

2. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

You want your lan IPs to access your sever IP not the internet IP, I'd have thought?
    I need more information from you to be able to offer anything useful..
    Are you running a routing protocol? Static routes? Acls?

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

TKStealth: Friend, no disrespect intended here, but the point of a forum is that by having a public discussion of an issue, we all benefit from seeing how people have tackled similar problems to our own, and we have access to a far wider body of knowledge than if we just discuss things with one other person via msn or email.

If you're concerned that giving out more information might put your system at risk, than change the IP addresses in any of the configs etc you post.

4. TKStealth

TKStealth New Member

well what it is i got a server set up by all the Wan ip and i opened all the ports to the server say 80.80.80.5 i can asess the server by my 80.80.80.5 ip then the server only gets half way then it needs to use the Wan ip witch is say 256.34.54.34 all my out bound people can connect to it by 256.34.54.34 but when i try and connect to it from a local ip it dont let me it like dont see it a mate of my said something about some routers dont support callback im not sure so basicly i want it so i can do 80.80.80.5(local Ip) to beanble to connect to my 256.34.54.34(Public ip / Wan ip) dont know if this made any more sence its hard to explain thank Stealth

5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Your explanation isn't very clear. Have I got this right:
    Your server has say, the IP address 80.80.80.5
    The public IP address on the router for your internet connection is, say, 256.34.54.34

People from the internet can access 256.34.54.34 which you have port forwarded to 80.80.80.5.

You cannot access the server from your lan using 80.80.80.5 or 256.34.54.34

Is that right?

Is a lan PC on the same IP range as the server, like 80.80.80.10, or is it different, say 192.168.1.5 ?

Are you running any routing protocol on the router?
    Have you put in any static routes?
    Are there any access control lists?

What access do you have to your router- telnet?

6. TKStealth

TKStealth New Member

Well the Server ip local ip is 10.10.10.5 the port is forward to that ip then im using a anouther pc on the net work with the ip 10.10.10.2 but i want it so i can log onto the server by the public ip witch is 84.9.189.41 witch other people can get on to but wont allow your lan ips but if i connected to the server from my lan from 10.10.10.2 to 10.10.10.5 it will let me on but i want to do it so i can use the internet one is that a bit more clear let me know if not i try and explain a diffrent way thanks Stealth

7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I wonder if giving your PC a different IP address, not part of the 10.x.x.x network, and including a static route on the router back to it, might work? If this is just for testing, you could try an IP address from the public range - but change it back later - and make sure you set the default gateway on the PC to point to the router's WAN address.

8. TKStealth

TKStealth New Member

i will have to give that a try mate anouther problem i dont know if its when i turn my computer on and back off but it all ways changes my local ip i got it on dhcp to give my local computer a local ip get back to me thanks TKStealth