CIPT Review

Discussion in 'Other IT Security Certification' started by Rob1234, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Data Privacy has been something I have been interested in for a while but with the soon to be implemented GDPR it has gained more mainstream attention and businesses have started to take note and invest in becoming compliant. I have been flooded with calls and email over the last few months from sales men with the magic beans to make us GDPR compliant!

I took a GDPR implementation course which helped covered the basics and give me a good understanding of GDPR but I wanted to get a wider overview of data privacy in general the main organisation in this area is IAPP. They provide lots of material and a few different certifications in the area.

I decided to look at the CIPT as this one is focused on IT professionals: “The CIPT is the first and only certification of its kind worldwide. It was launched by the IAPP in 2014 to meet the growing need that only tech pros can fill—securing data privacy at all stages of IT product and service lifecycles.”

One problem I found is there is very little training material out there, IAPP have published a book and provide online or classroom training but as I prefer the self-study route the only option I had was to read the one book there was no other books available on Amazon for example, like you find with most certifications. The book itself is quite short but easy to read and understand.

Once I felt I was ready for the exam I went to see when and where I could sit the exam, however it was quite annoying to find that I had to pay for the exam before I could see dates and locations to take the exam not a major issue but not something I had come across before.

The exam itself had a lot of questions that covered areas that were not mentioned at all in the book I expect one or two but there was a lot. I also expected to see questions where two answers both look correct which I did but some questions it appeared all four were the correct answer. The exam is made up of a lot of scenario questions which involved reading a large text then answering a few questions on that text.

Now that I have the certification I have to pay an annual maintenance fee of around £100 depending on exchange rate and maintain CPE’s each year.

If you are looking to get in to data privacy and work in IT this would be a good certification to look at as is not too “legal” compared to some data privacy certifications out there.

Certifications: A few.
    Griffon and JK2447 like this.
  2. umairkhan

umairkhan New Member

Yes, My friend also have good experience with CIPT.

3. CIPT member

CIPT member New Member

Hi Umair,

Could you please provide additional details on the CIPT certification experience? materials to read, is 30 hours sufficient? , what are the focus areas of the questions that were not covered in the material?