CHFI

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Donmac, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Has anyone taken the EC Council CHFI exam ?

Exam Details
    Number of Questions: 50
    Passing Score: 70%
    Test Duration: 2 Hours
    Test Format: Multiple Choice

Have been studying using "The Official CHFI Exam 312-49 Study Guide" Amazon Link and the "VTC Intro to Computer Forensics" VTC Link. Have also been using EnCase and Helix to mess about on a couple of test machines. After purchasing the EC Council books for the CEH I stayed away from the EC Council CHFI books.

Just wondering if the exam is as badly worded as the CEH exam and if the exam used US law or UK law (I'm taking the exam in the UK).

Cheers
    Donmac

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  2. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Hi

After 4 months of putting off the exam I finally took the C|HFI Exam this morning and passed with 80%.

To answer my own questions and help others who are thinging of taking the exam here are some helpful hints.

The questions were well worded compaired to the C|EH exam. Most questions were one sentence long and the max length was about four sentenses long ( No Microsoft ramblings about Bobs aunts dog who once installed a network etc etc). Two hours is overkill to complete the exam, if you know your stuff you could complete in 30-40 minutes.

The Law questions were mostly US based, and most questions regarding reporting of crime were also US based.

The Syngress Official CHFI Exam book is great, has everything you will need to pass the exam, it is a little lite on Ipod and Blackberry forensics but the book is over a year old and things move fast in the world of IT.

Would also recomend the Mike Meyers Network+ and Gregory White Security+ books as lots of questions were related to networks (OSI, protocols) and virus attack X-Site scripting.

If anyone want to ask question (not what were the questions) I'd be happy to help.

Donmac

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well done m8.

How relevant is this with it being US law ? Are there equivalent UK laws ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

I work for a US law firm in their UK office (helped with the legal questions). I needed to know the laws for both sides of the pond.

Donmac

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

grats i should be taking the EnCE shortly and then that one as it is a one time shot where the rest are all randomly update.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP