Chess

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mof, Jul 28, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certainly. Football (soccer) can be cerebral as well, as Arro pointed out. And hockey works similarly to football (soccer), just faster.

Baseball is very mental as well:
    - What pitch works best against this batter?
    - What can I expect the pitcher to throw?
    - What are this batter's tendencies?
    - Should I play shallow or deep? further left or further right?
    - Should I guard the base? Is the guy on first likely to steal?
    - Where's the play going (meaning, to where should I throw the ball if it's hit to me)?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Joe Haldeman. Wow. Haven't thought of him in quite awhile. Of course, I don't read much science fiction anymore, but I recall The Forever War very fondly. I notice he's still writing, so I guess I'm a little behind as far as keeping up on his works.

As far as playing sports go...I suk. :oops: Whenever I've been suckered into some sort of team game, I'm often voted MVP *by the opposing team*. On those rare occasions when people even bother to ask anymore, I find reasons to decline (I can always claim any one of my injuries from my days at the Postal Service). If I participate in a "sport" such as jogging, bicycling, or weight training, the only opponent is myself and I'm a "team of one", so I don't have to worry about how my performance (or lack thereof) impacts anyone else.

Well, now that that's been said, back to topic.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes went to bournemouth today to build sandcastles with my daughter and better half, popped into waterstones and was looking at the book and some guy just started talking to me about how good the book was. he said he first read it about 30 years ago, and as it was 3 books in one for £7 I thought why not!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I like to read a lot and keep active. I agree with what another user posted in regards to pricey gym memberships. Mine is about CI$450 (about US$525) for the year. The gym I go to isn't even that well equipped or has many decent classes!

When it expires I have decided to not renew and instead get a new pair of runners and take up running (I bought a book by Runner's World magazine from the Humane Society earlier this week to get knowledge!) on the beach before work and road running after work. You can also do a lot of resistance work at home as well as crunches.

I've also discovered that when I move to my new house next month it will have a pool so I will make the most of that too with a good set of lengths every other day. Most weekends we're at the beach swimming and snorkelling anyway which is also excellent excersise!

As for books, I like a good mix from stuff by Hunter S. Thompson, William Gibson, Phillip K. Dick, J.G. Ballard, Carl Hiassen and Mario Puzo to non-fiction reads such as Angelas Ashes, Papillon and various reference and biographical books. For extra added neuro-punishment I'm going to attempt to read Ulysses at some point in the future!

There's nothing better than a good dose of knowledge and a healthy bout of excercise to keep you in good stead!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA