Chess

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mof, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think you may be making an assumption based on the fact I own a Nintendo console. I never mentioned Mario Cart, and own no Mario games. I only play Wii Sports- it's the only game I own. More of that fitness and reactions malarky.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I wouldnt compare the two thats just daft:hahaha Lets put it this way if you spend two hours lets say on mario cart then go straight to bed afterwards you would proberley have trouble getting to sleep because the brain would still be very active or in another words the grey matter would still be working overtime stopping you going to sleep. Football or as you like to refer to it as soccer is often compared to chess over here, as both teams try to get the upper hand in the game.

WIP: C++ and A+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Arroryn. Mof mentioned mario cart.

I admit that I tend to have a bias against computer/video games, so I'm not the best one to judge how well or how poorly they impact mental sharpness or discipline. I also didn't make my comments to make anyone angry, but I seem to be having that affect anyway.

Mof, I can see how playing a computer game and then going immediately to bed wouldn't necessarily leave you in a relaxed frame of mind. Maybe I *am* misunderstanding the original intent of this thread. My apologies. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

No you did understand I went of on A tangent happens every now and then, forget what Ive written:p
    and I dont think you have said anything to annoy anyone. I think your A dame good egg and I have your book street smarts very good book it is to.:offtopic computer games are not relaxing stimulating yes, Chess is chill out time.

5. Arroryn

Don't worry Trip, I'm certainly not getting angry. Nice to have a discussion that helps displace some myths surrounding 'brainless sports' :)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I don't know if I could "chill out" playing chess. As I recall (admittedly from decades past), I got rather tense playing chess.

Last Friday, the missus and my two "brats" played a game of Scrabble. It was great fun, but I'm a lousy Scrabble player. Came in behind my son (family grandmaster) and my wife. My daughter finished dead last and it became clear that competition doesn't bring out the "best" in her. :wink:

Scrabble is one of those games I would consider to hone mental sharpness. Not only do you need to be able to see word patterns but you can learn to expand your knowledge base of words by observing what the other players create and testing your own (and their) knowledge against the "official" Scrabble dictionary (just in case you have to challenge what a player calls a "word").

BTW, thanks to the both of your for your gracious remarks. :)

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What do you mean your not in a good mood? Trouble at mill?:blink

What about using nintendo DS lite? Has anyone try one of these?? are they any good? I know chess is good for the brain, but there are so many other things besides computer games, such as word puzzles, crosswords. I think arroryn has got apoint there, healthy body healthy mind. I feel more refreshed after physical activity and more likely to absorb material i am learning. 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I was wondering what do you get with Wii sports?? The way they deplict it on TV is Wii sports is better than going to a gym?:blink

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

What's "trouble at mill"? :blink And yes, I can be a "moody, little sh*t" on occasion. Must be "male menopause" (and my wife would *so* kill me if she could read this).

10. Arroryn

Wii Sports isn't, I think you're after Wii Fit - the most ridiculously out of stock console accessory of all time.

Wii Sports is a standard package game, comprising of basic games of tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing. I play tennis mostly. It also has a basic 'gauge your fitness' area.

The Wii fit comes with a balance board, and is aimed at promoting fitness and exercise as opposed to 'general sports'. I think it's a wonderful idea. Those that are gym-shy for financial or esteem based reasons could benefit massively from them. I'm going to get one when I next get paid.

In the meantime, I'm going for a jog :)

11. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Are we talking the sixties, you naughty boy, I mean having a glass of wine or two. Only last night was playing against Ucheekymonkey sipping a glass or two mabe three hec I polished of the whole bottle very relaxing and completly chilled out.

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Cool! If you ever do buy one I'd be interested to know if it really does work, got my membership with the gym about to expire and it will cost me £390 to renew it for the year. It's amazing just how much these places are for 1 year membership, my boss goes to esporta gym and that's £650 for 1 year. He only lives around the corner from the gym, but refuses to walk there and parks his car as close as he can to the building!:ohmy I can never understand that why people go to the gym and park as close as they can to a building/shopping centre:rolleyes:

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, yes. I learned to play chess in junior high, but was never very good at it. I guess I don't have a strategic mind. BTW, there are just some things a glass of wine (or two or four...) won't fix. :wink:

14. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

You hav't forgot your anniversary or worse the wife's Birthday!
    mind you trip I know where your comming from with the kids, Thought i would treat my lad last weekend asked him where he would like to go, he chose a game of golf as he would like to whoop his Dad so played along. trouble is he trys to hard and makes mistakes gets wound up and I end up telling him off, all for a bit of bonding dont know whyI bother sometimes,

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The games I play are typically those that do keep the mind sharp... strategy gaming, wargaming, card gaming, simulations, etc - including those found on the computer. The majority of first-person shooters aren't "mentally stimulating" in the traditional sense, but one might consider improving your visual and auditory perception skills as part of keeping the mind sharp. Personally, I think it's part of the entire "mental" package, but that's just my opinion. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. BosonMichael

Yep... physical skill isn't the only thing that can win a football game. Outwitting an opponent can be just as effective, if not more so! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. BosonMichael

It puts me in a relaxed frame of mind, but I'm wired like that. :) If I don't keep my brain stimulated, I'll think about EVERYTHING else in the world... finances, raising kids, work stuff, appointments... I need the distraction - in the form of mental exertion - to help me relax, if that makes any sense. :)

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if anyone likes RTS (real time strategy) games, I highly recommend World in Conflict although you do need a decent computer for it to run well.

I am okay at Chess but not great :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If your talking about NFL then strategy is probably the most important part. Making the other team think your going one way when infact your going another way is what its all about.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I love reading myself, its mostly andy mcnabb and the odd tom clancy ( they are easy to come by in charity shops), also love reading sci-fi books bought peace and war by joe haldeman today I am keep to read that sounds really good, but for the past year and a half when I pick up a book which is everyday it has 70-xxx written on the cover somewhere.

Keen vegtable gardener and chicken keeper, um play battlefield 2142 every now and again (normally in a cannon fodder styleee).

I used to really enjoy chess, but like playing computer games it doesnt mean I was actually any good at it!:oops:

Most of my time outside of work is taken up with my daughter and better half and I wouldnt have it any other way!

Oh yes I love watching darts, all that maths!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing