Chess

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mof, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Was just wondering what everone did to keep the grey matter ticking over, I play chess online, I find it quite relaxing. I play timmed chess 2,5 or 10 days, that way when you have had enough just turn off ond come back to it another day.8)

WIP: C++ and A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I used to play chess many decades ago, but I really suk at it.

The fam and I played Scrabble together last Friday evening. I also suk at Scrabble, but I enjoy playing it anyway.

As far as "intellectual pursuits", I'm currently putting together a class on the 613 Jewish Commandments for a class I'm planning to teach this fall. I also teach a weekly Bible class, so I'm regularly doing research each week.

Yeah, I know...not a very common activity.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Well knock me down with a feather.
    you should listern to virgin radio breakfast they have a competition to see whos doing the most unusual thing over the weekend you win hands down unusual.

opps just noticed you are in USA its a British radio Station]

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Can you get them online?

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I used to play chess, I found it was a good switch off from study and as you say get's the old brain matter moving again..Mof can you supply a link for that website?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Sure I canhttp://www.letsplaychess.com
    If you like a game send me pm of your email address and ill challange you to a game:box2.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Computer games, board games, card games... games of any sort. I also do a lot of reading and studying.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks Mof:thumbleft

OMG it's got Over: 500000 Members :ohmy that's almost as big as BosonMichael Fan Club:p:tongue

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. BosonMichael

If I've got that many fans, I'd like to humbly ask that each of my fans send me $1. 8)

I thought about asking for $2 so I could hit a cool million... but that'd just be greedy. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Greed is good try sterling there never know the differance:twisted:

11. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'm learning tp play chess at the moment, personally I love the game, I just never have enough time to play it!!

My openings are pretty solid it just all falls apart from there. :(

I love reading as well, any of the classic American stuff: Ginsberg, Kerouac, Burroughs, Tim O'Brien. All great writers

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  12. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I usually have a plan A if that dont work stick head in bucket of sand and hope for the best.
    any one else fancy a game just pm your email to me and ill send an invitation all wecome.

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I can play chess, but can rarely find someone to play against.

If I want to play against the other half, I have to teach him the rules. Has anyone else seen that delightfully funny episode of Bottom? Episode

I write. I read. I jog. I play football. I play on my Wii. I cycle. I *conduct a relationship* and all the hobbies that might entail.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. BosonMichael

"Conduct a relationship"? :blink Eeeesh... that sounds so... sterile and manufactured. :(

Time to get on Amazon.co.uk and send Arro a "Spice Things Up" book! :biggrin

15. Arroryn

lol. You know me better than that... kind of... I was just being... politically correct :rolleyes:

16. BosonMichael

What's politically incorrect about saying you enjoy spending quality time with your boyfriend? :biggrin Unless... you're truly "conducting", that is... I mean, it could be that way, for all I know... :oops: heehee! :twisted:

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just to play the other side of the coin (and because I'm not in the best of moods), I thought I'd offer the following:
    Ok, my understanding of the basic premise of this thread is to describe those activities that keep our minds active and sharp...not just what sort of activities or hobbies in general we have.
    I'll buy some board games, perhaps some card games and of course, reading and studying as activities to keep the mind sharp, but not all games do this. I still have a hard time understanding how most computer games (at least the ones I see available) can keep one's mind sharp. It would seem that they'd do the opposite (and remember, I'm taking the "unpopular" stance in my comments deliberately here...not taking pot shots at individuals).
    While I can see how writing can help keep the mind sharp, I'm not sure about the rest. Actually, while jogging, a great deal of mental processing can be going on, so that counts, but football and playing on a Wii?

As far as entertainment goes, I found the entire first season of the SciFi Channel's 2000 release of their Invisible Man series on DVD at my local library. It's a 14 day checkout, so I've spend the past 10 days or so working my way through the five disk set. It's very interesting, and I've always been a sucker for an Invisible Man story, but I don't consider it one of the activities I perform to keep my mind sharp.

EDIT: Again, I'm not saying that any of the activities listed is *bad*...however, not all of them (IMHO) are particularly helpful at keeping a person's thinking processes honed. It's ok to do some things to *numb* your brain and to help you unwind at the end of the day. Who wants to go to sleep with their head buzzing with all sorts of complex thoughts, anyway?

18. Arroryn

I suppose it depends on what you think you're exercising.

Whilst they say 'healthy mind healthy body' playing a range of sports can contribute to that.

When I play football, it tests my reactions. It's not just about booting a leather ball around a pitch. When I'm in goal, I need to think about where I'm standing, and if that's the best place to be where the play currently is; how the striker sees where I'm standing and where they think they can take their shots. There's also the factor of assessing the body language of the oncoming players - the shape of a body can give you obvious hints on where and how they're going to attempt to place their shots.

There's a lot more that goes on than you may think :biggrin

19. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Hope your mood gets better nice glass of wine should do the trick. You are right about the question thing to keep your mind active I.E Chess ,sudoku I could spen hours solving them but also some computer game especially strategy ones command and conquer come to mind.Most games that pit one person against another in a live arena i.e online can be quite stimulating, even games like mario cart on wii takes alot of concentration which in itself would be considered keeping the mind active.

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok. I'll buy the idea that football, as you describe it, involves a lot of strategic thinking (I usually think of football as a bunch of guys trying to hit each other as hard as possible to create injuries), but I still have a tough time comparing the Mario Bros. to Chess as methods of improving mental sharpness (is that what you meant by "mario cart on wii"?).