Check your systems shields

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Nelix, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

If you have ever wondered how protected you really are click on the link below, about halfway down the page is a link to test your 'COMMON PORTS' click it and it will run a full security check on your system without you having to install anything.

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

After the MS32Blaster virus has been and gone the link to scan all service ports will be active again, this scans the first 1056 port on you machine.

This site is full of knowledge take some time to have a look around it.

Post your results, As far as the internet is concerned, my computer does not exist, except for 1 port (port133) which is still closed so i'm still safe and apparently this port is impossible to stealth

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Using the COMMON PORT scan I got a perfic :deal
    Thanks for the heads up on this Nelix, nobodys gettin in my back door :aaah

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Wow, I got a perfect score.My computer doesn't exist on the internet.
    Closing remark: Very Nice :thumbleft

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Everyone so far got the same result as me, Keep checking every now and again as you add new programes because some progs open ports without you knowing.

And dont forget to check the 'all service ports' scan after the weekend

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I failed with ports 80 and 443 open, so I closed them and passed second time!!

I'll have to get a (proper) firewall when I am on broadband next week.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey, you guys - you broke Steve's server !!! He's taken it offline cos it is going nano-nuclear !

Will try again later :wasntme

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well it :wasntme either, don't be accusing us Jaka.

I demand satisfaction for that insult :duel

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Do we want to be bitchin' each other, or dealing with this stuff ?

Let's save the fighting for the enemy ... :alien

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

now now boys put the claws away :D

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

May I add a nice wee "100% Pass" to the list above - clean, and undetectable on the Internet.

That's why no-one answers me then ... :P

11. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Answers who?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm not here really. I do not exist in the ether. So I'm going to sulk and then have a beer.

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Me too. I'm perfect - Which is nice.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  14. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Yeah Baby yeah

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  15. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

Steve Gibson's Shields up is a nice way to test your computer's firewall.

If you are using a hardware or software firewall, are you blocking any outbound traffic?

When you download a Microsoft Update does your firewall tell you that programs have changed?

Does your firewall tell you when a new application has been loaded and is trying to contact the internet?

just a couple of other things to think about.

16. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Alot of people on here use zonealarm home or pro, if i remember rightly when i download updates for progs from the internet, the next time they try to access the internet zonealarm asks if i want to allow the changed program access.

If you have any advice or software/hardware recommendations with regard to firewalls, i'm sure we would like to here about them

17. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

I use two firewalls. I have a Sonicwall Soho2 at the perimeter of my home computer network, I have been thinking about replacing that with a Cisco PIX. I also use Tiny Personal Firewall on my pc.

Don't really have any recommendations; however, there are a few products that I try to stay away from.

18. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Which products are these robnhood and is there any particlular reason??

19. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

I generally live by the get what you pay for mentality.

Sonicwall for example is pretty good. I would say that it isn't as nice as a Cisco PIX, but it does the job. IN my previous experiences with Watchguard products they seemed to missing something.

McAfee/Norton about the same more or less. I am sure everyone has a story about how one or the other missed a virus. So I would say that they are about the same.

A lot of my opinions are based on the objective of the project. I wouldn't use a linux box for a Windows file server, but I would use a linux/unix box for a database server.

20. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I have, for about 4 years now, run a Redhat Linux box as a firewall / IP Masquarading "router" sitting between my home network and the Modem/Internet.

I have used this box as a dev web server in the past, but currently its not.

I do use a base firewall configuration, not customised much. Its probably not the most secure way - even keeping within Linux to act as the firewall. Ive just been extreemly lazy with that box - which is why I have it down for being overhauled when I get the time soon!

However, for my needs it does suffice. It does mean that whatever happens my Windows boxes are sitting behind a Linux machine - so all the problems with the Windows viruses hitting open ports does not happen. I do have open ports on the linux, but then the windows services are not on the other side of the port!

My Laptop - which is my most important data wise uses Norton Virus Checker but no firewall - which may be a problem when im away from home and dialed up direct. My Desktop doesnt use anything just now - although it did use McAfee on the previous install. At the end of the day I dont think me or my data is a high risk... so as long as it stops the every day type occurances like viruses ect I do not think I am at risk for a direct attack.... but whoever knows :) Cant afford the $$$ for a hardware firewall even if I wanted one.